What's new

Question about which model I should buy

jeffskent

On October 18 Windows 8.1 will be released on all new tablets and machines with significant improvements for both desktop and RT versions. Nokia is perhaps to release a small RT tablet at that time. Other vendors including MS and Lenovo may release other devices. A short time to wait if you are in no major hurry. I've used the 8.1 preview for a couple of months and it is fine for me. No major issues at all. I use my Pro for standard desktop usage with the added advantage of being able to carry a 2 pound full Ultrabook in a lunch box sized case in my backpack. As far as taking notes are concerned, if I were still in school, I would still use a spiral notebook. As much as I love technology, nothing is as fast and safe as a written notebook which lasts forever.

drolem

As someone else already said, if you need a tablet the RT should work for you, but for laptop/ultrabook functionality you need a Pro.

Personally, I *love* the stylus (big hands and big fingers :tongue: ) so there was only one choice for me.

I think it's bloody unlikely that the Pro would be included in any Black Friday deal. but as a student, you should be able to get the RT for only $199 right now!! (but you need to act quickly!)
Microsoft is reducing the price of its ARM-based Surface RT tablet for schools and universities during a two-month, limited-time offer.

"It's important Microsoft does its part to help get devices into the hands of educators that help prepare today's students with skills modern businesses demand," a Microsoft spokeswoman said in a statement.

The promotion will run from June 24 to Aug. 31, offering Surface RTs without a keyboard for $199 (down from $499); tablets with a touch keyboard for $249 (normally $599), and those with a type keyboard for $289 (down from $629).

Available to K-12 and high-education institutions, the offer is good in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.K., and the U.S.

The next generation, (RT & Pro) should be released shortly after, or at the same time as Win 8.1, and that should make 1st gen devices cheaper, but unless you're wanting a Pro, I'd jump on the RT deal right now because that $199 deal is a very good one.