What's new

Questionable quality control, and my third RMA process.

FFX

Hello.

I bought my first Surface RT back in February. After a while my Surface RT began to show signs of oxidation in the magnesium finish all over the tablet.
I spoke to Microsoft and I was promised a new unit, the replacement unit would be sent to me as soon as the oxidation had been verified by Microsoft Service Center, that’s located in the Netherlands which by the way is a long way from Sweden.

After one and a half week I received my new unit, and out of the box this new unit had 4-5 dead pixels.
Another RMA process, I politely asked if there's a possibility to get some kind of reimbursement, but that was out of question. I could receive a new unit period, the inconvenience of not having the unit ready for my disposal was exactly that, an inconvenience. I have bought a 600$ tablet(yes, that's was the price for a Surface RT tablet here in Sweden), that I haven't been able to use in almost a full month due to this RMA circle.

I didn't want to have to go through this process again, so I made up my mind, to just sell the new tablet as soon as I had received it, and give the Surface 2 a chance instead.

Yesterday I received my brand new Surface 2, and out of the box there's a scratch in the LCD digitizer under the glass, and also a bright white pixel in the middle of the screen. This is totally unacceptable, how can the quality control be this bad.

This means another RMA process, and another one-two weeks without the device that I have bought.
I’m fully aware that other brands also experience this lack of quality control but seriously three times in a row.

I still love the Surface concept, and I really think the Surface is the best tablet on the market, but Microsoft really need to look over their quality control..

I just had to share my experience..

ChemCat

I'm sorry you went through such experience. I hear the ipad is perfect in every way. Can't go wrong with it.

deldalton

All I can say (and I hope you take this positively) is that I haven't had a problem with my SP2. And, they're (I mean the whole range) definitely one of the best products (the best in my opinion) on the market. I would highly recommend trying to get another unit.

borka105

I had to go through 4 Surface 2's to get a unit without an issue. I would agree with the OP that the QC needs to be improved.

I would stay patient and continue to go through the process until you get a unit without issues. It's well worth it in the end.

OP
F

FFX

I had to go through 4 Surface 2's to get a unit without an issue. I would agree with the OP that the QC needs to be improved.

I would stay patient and continue to go through the process until you get a unit without issues. It's well worth it in the end.

Love the tablet, will try again.
What kind of issues did your tablet have?

oion

Both generations of Surface had/have problems like this: Certain batches had particular QC problems, such as the loose volume rocker (Surface 2, I believe). Then as people return flawed units early on, there's a higher probability of getting a device from those same batches--also keep in mind that as people exchange flawed units, Microsoft reserves the right to replace with a refurbished unit, which also means a returned device (returned/exchanged for whatever reason). Case cosmetics are treated with low priority based on the warranty functionality; screen problems should be a higher priority. Although I have no idea how Microsoft refurbishes Surfaces given the very low iFixit scores.

I've never heard of oxidation complaints about the Surface, either generation. Unless you're talking about the coating flaking/chipping, then yes, that's a known issue. Microsoft really should stop the whole "fingerprint resistant" coating thing; way more trouble than it's worth. That's quite an unlucky string you have there; not as bad as that one user who exchanged five times mostly for software/firmware reasons, but still. The exchange process sounds like a pain in Europe. :(

As a data point: Both my Surface RT and Surface 2 exhibited no/minimal imperfections, but that doesn't mean anything overall, because we can't get reliability statistics by forums or even consumer reviews (participation rates and self-selection bias). The companies themselves are in the best positions to have accurate warranty-based reliability stats, but they're not going to release to the public, so we're left to third party aggregates. By Squaretrade statistics, 1 in 3 laptops fail within the first 3 years (2009), and netbooks fail 20% more often. Smartphones are overall more reliable with less than 7% fault rates across brand aggregate (I don't remember if that includes accident data, but I don't think so). I haven't found reliability statistics for the tablet slice, though, and Rescuecom's 2013 report mixes tablets and laptops together but doesn't include global percent out of nonfaulty units given their business model of supplying tech support. Consumers really need better sources of reliability data to keep the companies honest.

OP
F

FFX

My Surface RT had like small white bulges protruding from the magnesium finish, support knew about it and said it was a manufacturing defect in the coating.
I believe I have 14 days to return the tablet, so I might just do that and place a new order. Don't want to receive a refurbished unit.

oion

My Surface RT had like small white bulges protruding from the magnesium finish, support knew about it and said it was a manufacturing defect in the coating.
I believe I have 14 days to return the tablet, so I might just do that and place a new order. Don't want to receive a refurbished unit.

Hopefully you have better luck!

borka105

Love the tablet, will try again.
What kind of issues did your tablet have?

I've had loose volume rockers, chips in the silver paint (yes it is actually paint and not the natural color of the magnesium even though it is silver now), dead pixels.

The first two issues should really never happen. It's amazing how inconsistent the physical build of this device is. I will walk through my local Microsoft store and literally it's 50-50 whether the volume rocker is loose on the display units and they have MANY units out. The QC is not where it needs to be when selling a premium quality product made of a premium material.

OP
F

FFX

I've had loose volume rockers, chips in the silver paint (yes it is actually paint and not the natural color of the magnesium even though it is silver now), dead pixels.

The first two issues should really never happen. It's amazing how inconsistent the physical build of this device is. I will walk through my local Microsoft store and literally it's 50-50 whether the volume rocker is loose on the display units and they have MANY units out. The QC is not where it needs to be when selling a premium quality product made of a premium material.

My first Surface RT unit had a loose volume rocker, but I didn't let I bother me as I had nothing to compare it to. The Surface 2 I received yesterday has a solid volume rocker, and it feels so much better and premium.

@Oion Thanks.

OP
F

FFX

Question to all Surface 2 owners:
If you put pressure on your side bezels do you get a distortion of the display? Was rebooting my tablet while holding it when I noticed this. Same effect as when touching a LCD TV-display..

Last edited: