What's new

Questions about Surface Pro 2

demandarin

I have added the NAS drive suggestion to my list of options, thanks very much.

Starstreak has startled me (see his posting above). Is it true that one should buy the 256GB version of the SP2 with 8GB of RAM if you don't want the computer to overheat on handling heavy tasks? I don't play games but my son asked me if he would be able to play Battlefield 3 (some game like that). It sounds by what Starstreak wrote as if the less expensive SP2's will get boiling hot if my son tries to play such a game! I believe the 256GB version of the SP2 with 8GB of RAM costs about $1300?

That's not true at all. But pro2 should theoretically run cooler during normal tasks. Do anything cpu or gpu extensive and the new pro will get warm also. But these devices have fans built in and vents to cool down. It doesn't get boiling or dangerously hot..lol. people have to remember, these devices aren't some kiddie toys. It has a full blown i5 processor in them. A full blown pc in a tablet form factor.

plus both generation pros have fail safe ways of cooling down before chips get dangerously hot. it will throttle speeds down until it cools down. they can technically get even hotter than what the throttle is set to and still wouldn't be an issue.

now if you use the pro outside in direct sunlight in 100 degree weather, then id worry..haha

oion

Why do I feel so much pressure??? ;)

I expect nothing short of 4300 words per device with multiple performance graphs, temperature readings, and a daily log of actual usage broken down by hours. Footnotes are preferable over endnotes. One-inch margins and 11 pt serif font, single-space, APA style. Due 72 hours after you touch the shipping box(es).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My billable rate is $175/hr for customers with an AVL and $250/hr for normal customers....so your request is really expensive ;)

oion

My billable rate is $175/hr for customers with an AVL and $250/hr for normal customers....so your request is really expensive ;)

Nonsense, this is not a request. Your payment was two free devices, so you have a duty to fulfill, Mister I Get My Swag Before Everyone Else.

:p

OP
E

ecbritz

This thread has lost track of the question I originally posted so I have switched to a new thread. The original question was how to handle a 600GB file store you need to access regularly and on the move if you use a Surface Pro 2. The question was answered amply here so I feel grateful and happy. Page through this thread and you have the answer. My latest question, posted in a new thread, is whether the single USB 3 port will lose its grip if a USB plug running from a tiny external hard drive is inserted and removed regularly.

In case somebody would like to contribute to this new question, please see my latest posting at the NEW THREAD. I now say thanks very much and a final goodbye to my friends at THIS THREAD.

Quoted from new thread:

"Thanks for the very helpful replies. The explanation about the heat being controlled so the Surface Pro 2 won't cook itself and its data answers my question about that. I find the Surface Pro 2 as advertised the coolest computer I've seen in my life, for my personal needs. But what are the real limitations of this tiny marvel? Once you know the limitations, and the possible means of overcoming them, you are ready to buy. The new 10 hour battery lifts a very important limitation of the SP 1. The limitation on available storage space on the SP2 can be overcome in various ways, the least expensive being a 1 terabyte miniature external hard drive. It should work without its own power supply if its the only device connected to the USB 3 port. But the question comes to mind how the grip of the single USB 3 port on the SP2 will stand up to regular insertion and removal of a USB plug. I stored a picture of the solution I had to improvise for USB 2 port grip loss at https://app.box.com/s/h2gsuwwbrg96ni07g82b . A zipped version of the picture can be downloaded at https://app.box.com/s/qro98at5jbdqvfwk7iyi . This picture should explain my worries about that single USB 3 port on the SP2."

scadarick

how come the only users that purchase tablets thru Microsoft get 200 gigs of SkyDrive free, what about the users that onky have bestbuy to purchase tablets? I spent just as much for my tablets as others paid. does not sound far to the other users, or am I just being an idiot.

oion

how come the only users that purchase tablets thru Microsoft get 200 gigs of SkyDrive free, what about the users that onky have bestbuy to purchase tablets? I spent just as much for my tablets as others paid. does not sound far to the other users, or am I just being an idiot.

The coupon codes should be in the box.

scadarick

Well pie in my face. It was still wrapped in the booklet still in box. Just did not really need to read it again, guess I was wrong, thanks guys.
Now that gives me around 540 gigs or so, that's including my 250 gigs trueimge 2014 cloud storage. Its so easy to make an image of my tablet drives and my desktop too. Backing them in there cloud service is also very good, can even get single files or folders from the images than having to get the whole thing. Has great backup features.

Thanks again guys.... off to set this up.