What's new

questions about the screen technology

kiwigirl

during the Sp3 conference, the guy mentioned some kind of tech on the SP3 that doesnt strain eyes, what is it?

im not one who usually likes to have high brightness, mainly cause it will strain my eyes. if i have my phone screen set past 50% it strains my eyes. same with every other lcd screen i use. but i notice the Sp3 even at the default brightness setting out of the box at 50% actually doesnt put any strain on the eyes. it feels so nice on the eyes. i think this is because of the technology it uses.

1) what brightness do you like most?
2) is it me or does it seem that the sp3 is actually easier on the eyes when set at a higher brightness than normal compared to other tabs?
3) does the device look sharper when at high or low brightness?
3) how do i get the 9 hour battery life?

someone here actually mentioned that you actually get more eye strain from the sp3 when its at a lower setting than a higher one, which makes no sense.

ctitanic

4. Low the brightness to 25, turn off Wifi and BT, don't play music, videos, etc. That's how you get 9 hours. :p

4. Low the brightness to 25, turn off Wifi and BT, don't play music, videos, etc. That's how you get 9 hours. :p
If you put it to sleep, you'll gwt even better life! Better yet, hibermate!

Makes me wonder why the SP3 team couldn't collaborate with the Windows Phone 8 team and get the auto-brightness perfected, or why they couldn't have thrown simple things like a nice 13-megapixel camera with flash, and include gps while there at it. Simple necessities in my book. A fingerprint reader, like the S5 would be great as well. Some Bose speakers wouldn't hurt either. I can dream...

As for the SP3 having tech to reduce eye strain, if it does, it must be a gimmick. My eyes still strain while looking at the SP3, just like any other monitor or TV I look at. It all comes down to the screen brightness level. I always try to get the lowest brightness level I can go, before picture degradation kicks in. Then I stop there. Even then, after 3-5 hours, my eyes begin to strain again.

As for getting 9 hours battery life, not sure how. I have even factory reset my SP3 and only installed Google Chrome for 1 week, and the best I could get was 5.5 hours. After seeing that I have concluded chrome is a battery hog somehow. But I refuse to use Internet Explorer, as there are too many nifty addons I use with Chrome that IE will never get.

Now I run my SP3 with google Drive, One Drive, Google Photo's, Steam, Avast, Logitech Setpoint, and Plex, and my battery lasts about 5 hours now. So a 30 minute reduction in battery to run everything my desktop runs, is a trade-off I am willing to live with.

If you really want 9-hours battery life, get this:
Mikegyver 52.8AH Surface Ultimate External Battery

Aurelio

1) in Battery - 45% - on the power 100%
2) Could be because of the resolution, for me it's ok. I use here the scale @ 125% if I use less than 45% of brightness is horrible for me.
3) Any % for me look very sharp. Awesome screen this SP3 have.
4) Here I use a few METRO Apps, a lot Firefox (in desktop) and office. With 45% of Brightness and even with Bluetooth ON for the PEN, I still can get 8:30 or 9:12 hours of battery. (I'm using the Battery Bar Pro to check my TimeLeft.)

Liam2349

For maximum battery life, the most important thing is to not run anything Google. Unfortunately, Google has no idea how to make power efficient software for Windows - Microsoft is king in this department with IE, Music, Video and the other official apps.

You can get 9 hours with BT and Wifi on, I've done it several times at 40% brightness and it depends on how much time you spend in the desktop. Even with several hours of Excel I can still get 8 hours. Running Office doesn't have a huge effect on my battery life, which is great.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe the technology they were talking about is ClearType.
To adjust search ClearType and follow the wizard.
I have used this n the past to great effect although with the higher resolution screens I had a hard time choosing on the first 3 screens so I left the default selection. Somewhat like getting glasses when the doc tells you to choose the best, when you cant tell which one is better they've zeroed in on it.

bluegrass

I'll buy that Frank. Not only does it help with eyestrain but it gives you more hours on the Surface. I guess you could write a really long post, but not be able to do much else.