What's new

Quick Anti-virus and Pen Question

melfred

Hey guys i just got my SP3 yesterday. Everything is working great after all the update. Just wondering what anti virus you guys are using.

And 1 quick question about the pen. when i double click it takes a screen shot, but isnt it supposed to let me choose part of the screen grab and put it in one note automatically. I have to manually paste it to one note and it paste the whole screem, am i missing something?

Thanks

Btw i have i5 8bg version

malberttoo

Hey guys i just got my SP3 yesterday. Everything is working great after all the update. Just wondering what anti virus you guys are using.

And 1 quick question about the pen. when i double click it takes a screen shot, but isnt it supposed to let me choose part of the screen grab and put it in one note automatically. I have to manually paste it to one note and it paste the whole screem, am i missing something?

Thanks

Btw i have i5 8bg version

Hi melfred, welcome to the forum!

Your SP3 comes with Defender which is a decent enough antivirus if you are a "discerning" surfer. If you feel like you might need some extra help however, some other guys will hopefully come after me and give you some advice on what the options are.

As far as the pen, double-pressing only takes a screenshot. If you want to customize a screenshot on the fly, then you want the Snipping Tool, which I highly recommend you learn how to use! :D

There's a link for it in my sig.

Last edited:
OP
M

melfred

thanks guys. i knew that it came with windows defender i was just wondering if anyone installed another one and im also familiar with the snipping tools

for the screen cap i swear i saw a video somewhere where they doubled click and they had to highlight which part they want and it went to one note automatically. might have to look for that video again

ill get back if i find it again lol

OP
M

melfred

ok so i found a video. not the one i watched but it shows what im talking about

around 40 second mark

annabanana

Hi melfred, welcome to the forum!

Your SP3 comes with Defender which is a decent enough antivirus if you are a "discerning" surfer. If you feel like you might need some extra help however, some other guys will hopefully come after me and give you some advice on what the options are.

As far as the pen, double-pressing only takes a screenshot. If you want to customize a screenshot on the fly, then you want the Snipping Tool, which I highly recommend you learn how to use! :D

There's a link for it in my sig.

About the Snipping Tool, thanks for the link. It works great in desktop mode, I couldn't get it to work im in Metro IE. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Liam2349

My Pro 3 pen double tap takes a screenshot. I can then press a button in the top right of the screen to skip cropping, or crop it by just drawing a box, then it saves to OneNote. It's a great feature because the OneNote snipping tool only works on the desktop, so last semester I always had to work in the desktop to add graphs and diagrams to my notes, now I can do it in Metro!

As for Anti Virus, I don't trust Defender because it doesn't really stop anything. I use AVG Internet Security 2014 and I like it a lot. Very nice interface, very simple to work with, and doesn't seem to cause any battery issues even with real-time protection. It's pretty efficient.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antivirus is a bit of a religious discussion. Everyone has their Favorites (opinion) and testing depends on what you test and how you interpret the test. Note that there typically are scores for Detection, Removal, Usability obviously some offer more features than others as well. Features might be important to you IF they provide you any benefit in your usage profile. I don't use Facebook so I couldn't care less about a Facebook feature.

I think the first decision is; am I will to buy something or use a free option although you might choose best possible protection as the #1 criteria. For choices that have Free and Paid options the paid typically rates higher in testing. However, your own behavior weighs heavily on you risk factors. Your tolerance of Free nagging and ADs is another consideration. Personally I didn't like the Free software I tried because of ads and nags. if your looking for the absolute best protection then you should buy however, there's no guarantees of 100% protection.

Here's a fairly balanced review:
(Some reviews definitely seem slanted one direction or another even making top choices which seem to contradict their own test results.)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/259876/antivirus_on_windows_8_looking_at_your_options.html
It states Windows Defender scores 97% on detection and is among the top in removing what gets detected while others are better at detection and not so good at removing. Windows Defender combined with an occasional scan with the Free MalwareBytes download. You'd have a pretty good low impact unobtrusive solution unless you're in the Very High Risk Category as a user. also using a host file to block known bad sites is worth considering, as an ounce of prevention. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm This is very easy to add and just exclude the file in Defender, no need for anything more.

More Reviews:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/best-antivirus-software-for-windows-8/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

I used Bitdefender last year. I didn't renew this year... can't really put my finger on why I didn't really like it, I just didn't.

I don't like what Trend has done with their products. They tried to dumb it down IMO and succeeded in hiding an obscuring what should be quite obvious.

I have several systems with Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 on them partly because most Corporations will accept that as an antivirus solution without hassles. Its also pretty easy to use with clear options yet stays out of the way mostly while just doing its job and is no longer the resource pig it used to be. On most other systems I'm mainly using the lowly Microsoft solution for its simplicity and unobtrusiveness except for some testing of other products. on pretty mush any system I will occasionally scan with another tool such a Malwarebytes just in case something was missed.

IMO, You should not feel like a slave to your antivirus solution or that its always in your face. Your system should not be unnecessarily burdened by your antivirus solution, if it is look for another option. The features should be pretty intuitive, maybe that varies by individuals, if you look at the interface and wonder what to do for even a second consider a different choice.