What's new

Quick Anti-virus and Pen Question

raqball

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I let Windows Defender run live protection and then run Malwarebytes every few weeks..

Free and free. :)

Liam2349

Antivirus is a bit of a religious discussion. Everyone has their Favorites (opinion) and testing depends on what you test and how you interpret the test. Note that there typically are scores for Detection, Removal, Usability obviously some offer more features than others as well. Features might be important to you IF they provide you any benefit in your usage profile. I don't use Facebook so I couldn't care less about a Facebook feature.

I think the first decision is; am I will to buy something or use a free option although you might choose best possible protection as the #1 criteria. For choices that have Free and Paid options the paid typically rates higher in testing. However, your own behavior weighs heavily on you risk factors. Your tolerance of Free nagging and ADs is another consideration. Personally I didn't like the Free software I tried because of ads and nags. if your looking for the absolute best protection then you should buy however, there's no guarantees of 100% protection.

Here's a fairly balanced review:
(Some reviews definitely seem slanted one direction or another even making top choices which seem to contradict their own test results.)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/259876/antivirus_on_windows_8_looking_at_your_options.html
It states Windows Defender scores 97% on detection and is among the top in removing what gets detected while others are better at detection and not so good at removing. Windows Defender combined with an occasional scan with the Free MalwareBytes download. You'd have a pretty good low impact unobtrusive solution unless you're in the Very High Risk Category as a user. also using a host file to block known bad sites is worth considering, as an ounce of prevention. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm This is very easy to add and just exclude the file in Defender, no need for anything more.

More Reviews:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/best-antivirus-software-for-windows-8/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

I used Bitdefender last year. I didn't renew this year... can't really put my finger on why I didn't really like it, I just didn't.

I don't like what Trend has done with their products. They tried to dumb it down IMO and succeeded in hiding an obscuring what should be quite obvious.

I have several systems with Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 on them partly because most Corporations will accept that as an antivirus solution without hassles. Its also pretty easy to use with clear options yet stays out of the way mostly while just doing its job and is no longer the resource pig it used to be. On most other systems I'm mainly using the lowly Microsoft solution for its simplicity and unobtrusiveness except for some testing of other products. on pretty mush any system I will occasionally scan with another tool such a Malwarebytes just in case something was missed.

IMO, You should not feel like a slave to your antivirus solution or that its always in your face. Your system should not be unnecessarily burdened by your antivirus solution, if it is look for another option. The features should be pretty intuitive, maybe that varies by individuals, if you look at the interface and wonder what to do for even a second consider a different choice.

I agree, antivirus is a personal decision. However, 97% detection for Defender? Before I installed AVG on my SP3, Defender missed loads of malware and a Trojan Horse.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, antivirus is a personal decision. However, 97% detection for Defender? Before I installed AVG on my SP3, Defender missed loads of malware and a Trojan Horse.
That number came from a certified testing lab but regardless I could say I haven't had any issues as many haven't backed up by nothing detected running Malwarebytes. . That said, high risk behavior will need more than Free AVG :D

Liam2349

That number came from a certified testing lab but regardless I could say I haven't had any issues as many haven't backed up by nothing detected running Malwarebytes. . That said, high risk behavior will need more than Free AVG :D

That's why I use AVG Internet Security 2014 ;)

i use bit defender as i found to be the best on the market.
Windows defender is only a stop gap measure and if you have a bit of spare cash definitely buy bit defender or kaspersky which i think is 2nd best

OP
M

melfred

Ok yes I misunderstood your post earlier. When you double-click your pen, does your screen not get a "hazy" look to it?
Yes I
Ok yes I misunderstood your post earlier. When you double-click your pen, does your screen not get a "hazy" look to it?

yes it does get hazy for like half a second then one note opens it doesn't show up on the screen I have to manually paste it in unlike in the video

all drivers/firmware are updated. both from metro settings and from control panel settings
and I tried it with the desktop version and it does work for it but ive seen multiple videos where they use the metro version

Last edited:

guymalloc

I've been happy with Windows defender and a weekly scan with malwarebytes on my SP1. But... If anything turns up on my malwarebytes scan, EVER, I will install Avast, been using it successfully on 5 other pc's, and have never gotten bit....