What's new

Quick type cover question

79jonesy

Hi,
Just a quick question - I have turned off the 'let this device wake the computer' option but still the type cover will wake up the SP3. What else do I need to do to stop this? Keep finding it on and hot in my bag. I'm a teacher so constantly moving from room to room.
Thanks.

Wiidesire

Hi,
Just a quick question - I have turned off the 'let this device wake the computer' option but still the type cover will wake up the SP3. What else do I need to do to stop this? Keep finding it on and hot in my bag. I'm a teacher so constantly moving from room to room.
Thanks.
This option will only prevent the device to be woken from Hibernation. What you want to do is block the wake-up while in connected standby. I don't know a way to do this.

malberttoo

Hi,
Thanks.

I just started shutting the SP3 down anytime I wanted to throw it in the bag. The 10 seconds it takes to boot up is no big deal.

It is an inconvenience at times to be sure! I really enjoyed just closing the TypeCover while I was right in the middle of something, and away we go. But the frustration of A) opening the SP3 5 hours later to find it hot in the bag, and then buggy and unresponsive when tried to use it again, and additionally B) my battery nuked of juice, so now in addition to embarrassment in front of client about them having to wait while I got my act together on my buggy SP3 oh AND now I have to hunt down a power outlet as well... the frustration just was not worth the little extra time it took to get my apps and work squared away and then shut down fully.

I'm hopeful that Microsoft will address this soon, either with an update, or hopefully at the very least with the SP4 and a TypeCover that magnetically stays closed.

kundas1

I don't get why some of you are having trouble with the SP3 coming on, I have NEVER ONCE took my SP3 out of the carry bag and it was on... maybe the carry bag u guys use are too big N bulky and the typecover opens in the bag and then the SP3 turns on? could that be it? also make sure your wirelss/bluetooth mouse that is connected is turned OFF when placing it in the bag...

malberttoo

I don't get why some of you are having trouble with the SP3 coming on, I have NEVER ONCE took my SP3 out of the carry bag and it was on... maybe the carry bag u guys use are too big N bulky and the typecover opens in the bag and then the SP3 turns on? could that be it? also make sure your wirelss/bluetooth mouse that is connected is turned OFF when placing it in the bag...

Yes I'm almost certain it is because the TypeCover is opening a bit in the bag. But I have even had it happen while leaving the house. I'd pick it up off the table, the cover would accidentally swing open, and then of the course the screen would blink on.

Like leeshore said in a different thread, I just need to put a big Rubbermaid around it :D. I totally will if I find the right one...

wynand32

Huh. It's funny, but I was convinced that the opening Type Cover would not wake the SP3. Closing it puts it to sleep, yes, but opening it wouldn't wake it. The setting is on in Device Manager, but I have yet to experience the Type Cover waking mine just by opening it. The keys and trackpad will wake it up, however...

foghat

Huh. It's funny, but I was convinced that the opening Type Cover would not wake the SP3. Closing it puts it to sleep, yes, but opening it wouldn't wake it. The setting is on in Device Manager, but I have yet to experience the Type Cover waking mine just by opening it. The keys and trackpad will wake it up, however...

Yep. Mine does not come on opening the cover.

For those having issues, maybe just disconnect the cover before putting it in your bag. May not be the most elegant solution, but beats a drained battery or non-responsiveness.

OP

79jonesy

To be fair it seems a slight breeze will turn on my SP3! Put it to sleep with no type cover attached and returned an hour later to find it on and warm. I don't have any Bluetooth peripherals other than the pen. SP3 being replaced next week so hopefully that will stop it.