What's new

Quick Way to Kill Processes

mrasmussen

Other than task manager, which I get to by doing ctrl-alt-del or right-click the task bar in desktop mode, is there a quicker way? Maybe an app similar to the task killer apps in Android.

bosamar

To close an application grab the top and it and drag it to the bottom on the screen... it that what you mean?

OP
mrasmussen

mrasmussen

no, I want to close several at a time. If I leave a bunch running in the background, and I am about to play a game, pinball for example, I like to close a bunch of apps to get better framerates. Seems I have to go to task manager to do this. It would be nice to have a metro app...

J515OP

Super Moderator
no, I want to close several at a time. If I leave a bunch running in the background, and I am about to play a game, pinball for example, I like to close a bunch of apps to get better framerates. Seems I have to go to task manager to do this. It would be nice to have a metro app...

Or just leave Task Manager running on Desktop (you can probably also create a shortcut or use the Charms Bar and search to quickly open it). Then whenever you need to kill apps just jump back take two seconds kill everything (except the app you want) and jump back to your app. Maybe not ideal but it should be fairly quick and easy.

ArnoldC

You just gave me an idea, not that I need it on the Surface, but I wrote a Powershell script to do just that. Perhaps I'll test it on my Surface and if it works, I'll just pin it, for kicks.

ZachBui

Code:
@echo off
title Kill all running apps - Bharat Balegere (Modified by ZachBui)
cd c:\windows\System32
for /f "skip=3 tokens=1" %%i in ('TASKLIST /FI "USERNAME eq %userdomain%\%username%" /FI "STATUS eq running"') do (
if not "%%i"=="svchost.exe" (
if not "%%i"=="explorer.exe" (
if not "%%i"=="cmd.exe" (
if not "%%i"=="tasklist.exe" (
if not "%%i"=="iexplore.exe" (  REM : means that it won't end task these processes
echo.
taskkill /f /im "%%i"
echo.
)
)
)
)
)
)
pause
I think this does the job. I found it online and modified it. If there is a better way to do it then that would be cool too =)