What's new

Ran a couple of benchmarks on SP

MaxSurface

Just for kicks I ran two benchmarks on my Surface Pro 128gb. On PCMark 7 my SP scored a 4,623. On the Peacekeeper browser test with IE 10 it scored a 1,993. Next I'm going to run these benchmarks on my Sony Laptop with a first gen i7 to see how it compares.

OP
MaxSurface

MaxSurface

I benchmarked my Sony Vaio to compare to the Surface Pro and I was surprised by the results. The Surface Pro actually scored higher. The Sony Laptop scored a 3325 on PCmark 7 and a 1784 on the Peacekeeper browser test with IE. Even though my laptop is a bit older I expected it to score higher. It's specs are a 1st gen i7, 8 gb ram, 240gb ssd, Nvidia GT 330m graphics. The laptop did pull ahead on the gaming scores with 25fps vs the Surface Pro at 17fps due to it's Nvidia dedicated graphics I am sure, but the Surface seems to have scored higher on everything else. Impressive for a tablet I think.

malberttoo

What are the highs/lows that those scores should be be? I don't know anything about benchmark numbers...

OP
MaxSurface

MaxSurface

I am not really up on my benchmark knowledge these days, but I wanted to compare the surface pro vs my laptop for the heck of it. I just re-ran the Peacekeeper browser test using Chrome on the SP this time and the browser score was 3616 compared to Internet Explorer's score of 1993. For whatever it's worth I still use IE for browsing as it seems more smooth than Chrome and Firefox on the Surface Pro.

OP
MaxSurface

MaxSurface

Ran another benchmark. Crystaldiskmark on the c: drive and this is with Bitlocker enabled on the drive.

Attachments

• crystaldiskmark surface pro.jpg
    crystaldiskmark surface pro.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,050

mitchellvii

Here's my thought on benchmarking. Does your computer turn on? Is it fast enough to run your favorite apps? That's all the benchmarking you need.

Last edited:
OP
MaxSurface

MaxSurface

Here's my thought on benchmarking. Does your computer turn on? Is it fast enough to run your favorite apps? That's all the benchmarking you need.

While I can appreciate your view, I think benchmarks can be useful for comparing the performance between different computers or devices. Some people like to know how a new device will stack up against what they have already. Particularly in a device like the Surface Pro, which is unique in a way compared to the majority of tablets out there, benchmarks may provide useful info to those who are considering buying the Surface Pro, but want to see how it stacks up to a laptop, desktop, etc. Initially I was debating on getting a Surface Pro or the Asus Vivotab Smart which also runs a full version of windows 8 too and was less than half the price, but after comparing the specs and seeing a few benchmarks I realized that the Asus would be underpowered for my needs. The Asus used a 32 bit version of Windows 8, used a much slower processor, slow memory, storage, etc. I was looking for a tablet that was about equivalent to my laptop in performance and the Surface Pro was one of the few to deliver.

gertsy

Surface benchmarks.

Grumpy old man.... lol yeah if it runs good who needs to benchpress.
It's good to see benchmarks from real world users. The Google world of IT press these days results in one dubious review being shared amongst 100s of IT sites as their own review. Its rare to find an objective review or a least one that prefaces subjectivity with the actual word. It would be interesting to see how the Surface 3 suite compares to the Pro 2.