What's new

Random lockups & Wifi "limited" connection problems

plnguyen

Hey everyone. I just got my SP3 yesterday and so far I have only done Windows Update, updated N-trig drivers, installed Office & Webroot antivirus.

I already had 3 random lockups that required a hard reboot. I didn't notice that I was doing anything out of the ordinary... just surfing the new and working on some documents in Word. This is really frustrating, if anyone knows a solution this would be great. I can't have this happen in lecture!

Another problem is when my Surface wakes up from sleep mode, my wifi says "Limited Connection". The only fix for this is to disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

benjitek

Sounds like wifi in general is an issue -- hopefully fixed in a future update. Does the issue continue if you turn off Bluetooth?

I had random limited connection issues with the WiFi. I uninstalled the wireless card drivers from device manager (I also selected delete the driver software for the device) then scanned for new hardware to load the original drivers. No WiFi issues since. After installing the old drivers I received an update for Windows. Running the update loaded the new drivers again so watch for that. The update is called System Firmware Update - ‎6/‎19/‎2014

tuchas

I had random limited connection issues with the WiFi. I uninstalled the wireless card drivers from device manager (I also selected delete the driver software for the device) then scanned for new hardware to load the original drivers. No WiFi issues since. After installing the old drivers I received an update for Windows. Running the update loaded the new drivers again so watch for that. The update is called System Firmware Update - ‎6/‎19/‎2014

I am having the same issues AFTER the firmware update. If I walk into another room in the house, the wifi signal gets low and sometimes drops altogether. No problems with any other wifi devices in my house. This is a big problem that needs to be addressed soon.

I am having the same issues AFTER the firmware update. If I walk into another room in the house, the wifi signal gets low and sometimes drops altogether. No problems with any other wifi devices in my house. This is a big problem that needs to be addressed soon.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. My WiFi problems didn't appear until after the firmware update. Reverting back to the old drivers resolved the problem for me.

chrsb

I had similar problems, mine locked up while in control panel also, had to do a restart to fix. Mine also has wifi issues, I reset my router and got some connections. I'm guessing its a 5ghz problem with the Surface. None of my other wireless 3 iPads, 3 laptops, 2 iPods, 2 iPhones, nest, camera have wifi issues. My router is a RT-AC66U

ZachBui

I've been getting crashes when going into hibernate mode and after a few seconds from getting out of it I get the blue screen. The crash info says it's related to wifi. I may see if uninstalling the driver/update that I saw, maybe it caused a problem