What's new

Random Shutdowns / Touch Cover 2 disconnects

polbit

Now that I've had my SP2 for a while, I've started noticing few trends:

1. At least once/twice a day, when I wake the tablet up from sleep, it will crash and reboot.
2. I loose the connection to the keyboard daily as well. Quick unsnap/snap gets it back.

Here are the most common errors in my system log:

Code:
Level	Date and Time	Source	Event ID	Task Category	
Error	11/7/2013 18:28	BTHUSB	17	None	The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.
Error	11/8/2013 7:17	Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM	10001	None	Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail
Error	11/7/2013 6:41	Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM	10016	None	The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application: application container Microsoft.Adera_2.5.0.30562_x86
Error	11/7/2013 9:57	MTConfig	1	None	An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed.
Error	11/8/2013 10:21	Win32k	271	None	Touch pad relegated to legacy mode due to failed logo requirements.

I have quite a number of errors in the log on daily basis. Does anybody have any ideas?

oion

This sounds like what Sher is experiencing here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/6746-device-not-waking-3.html

Microsoft is supposedly aware of the problem and working on a firmware fix, but it wouldn't hurt to add to the thread on the official board. Maybe attempt an exchange.

Edit to add:

Since the problem appears to be centered around sleep/wake, you might try switching all your power settings to avoid that and stick with an actual shut-down or hibernation until MS releases a fix.

Last edited:
OP
polbit

polbit

Since the problem appears to be centered around sleep/wake, you might try switching all your power settings to avoid that and stick with an actual shut-down or hibernation until MS releases a fix.

Not a bad idea, I'll just change it to hibernate for now.

BTW, I attempted, not sure why, the Internet Chat with MS Support. I have to say, it was the worst Customer Service experience I've had in a long time. From being asked irrelevant questions, to repeating myself to the same question being asked multiple times ("So this is happen just today?", "When did it start happening?", "Is this the first time that it crashed?"), etc., etc... Just wow.

oion

Not a bad idea, I'll just change it to hibernate for now.

BTW, I attempted, not sure why, the Internet Chat with MS Support. I have to say, it was the worst Customer Service experience I've had in a long time. From being asked irrelevant questions, to repeating myself to the same question being asked multiple times ("So this is happen just today?", "When did it start happening?", "Is this the first time that it crashed?"), etc., etc... Just wow.

Sounds like you got unlucky and was punted to the outsourced support. :( Let us know if changing the settings works out for you, as I'm not sure the OP in the other thread tried that but rather attempted to stick with sleep settings.

drolem

The BTHUSB error means that the BT driver has crashed, but normally there's another, "Information" entry next to it when it runs fine at the 2nd time.
I think the DistributedCOM errors are some kind of Windoze errors
The MTConfig error may be accompanied by touch not working, but other times it's harmless -- I think you can get just 1, or 2 or 3 in a row, and the actual effect depends on how many you have next to each other
I think the Win32k 271 error is just cosmetical, and it shouldn't effect functionality

Of course, the event log should not contain *any* error, which is obviously not the case. You may want to express your displeasure with the above errors on the official MS board using the link posted by oion.

gman713

Not good to hear the problems with customer service. I think Microsoft needs to really do everything they can right now in such a competitive market. I still hear jokes about nobody owning the Surface.

OP
polbit

polbit

Sounds like you got unlucky and was punted to the outsourced support. :( Let us know if changing the settings works out for you, as I'm not sure the OP in the other thread tried that but rather attempted to stick with sleep settings.

Unfortunately it managed to crash coming out of hibernation twice today... with a new error "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC00000D"

OP
polbit

polbit

I just spent my last hour talking to MS Support over the phone. That went about as bad as the Chat support - I was put on hold for "3-5 minutes" probably 10 times, and every time the tech got back, he would ask a single step, like "are you on balanced mode?", then put me on hold, until I mentioned to the tech that it's a known problem and pointed him to MS Forums. At the point he put me on hold again, and came back saying that based on the forums it looks like MS will have to release a software update, but that I should exchange my device... I'm not used to dealing with Tech support, so maybe I'm assuming too much thinking that the front-line tech guys have any actual technical knowledge. This is starting to get way too frustrating. I love the device but I can't have it crash 4 times a day.

I think I'm going to try a reset, and if that doesn't work, wait close to my 45 day return period from Best Buy. If there isn't a solution by then, it will sadly be going back...

gman713

That's stressful! I have a MacBook Air and passed on the new iPad air for the Surface Pro figuring I could combine both a notebook and tablet. So far my unit has been great, but I get worried that it will start crapping out after my return period is up! I certainly hope the Surface Pro lasts because I really like it better than the Air/iPad combo.

OP
polbit

polbit

I tried full reset, but could not get the damn WiFi driver to work... thank goodness I made a system image backup.

I've noticed one pattern today - if I wake it up in tablet mode (with my touch cover 2 folded behind the screen), I can't make it crash. If the keyboard is extended, it will crash every few tries... Hopefully I can make it work like this until MS releases a hot fix, because looking at other 2-in-1s more closely, there really isn't an alternative to SP2 for me at this point. I'm hooked...

oion

I tried full reset, but could not get the damn WiFi driver to work... thank goodness I made a system image backup.

I've noticed one pattern today - if I wake it up in tablet mode (with my touch cover 2 folded behind the screen), I can't make it crash. If the keyboard is extended, it will crash every few tries... Hopefully I can make it work like this until MS releases a hot fix, because looking at other 2-in-1s more closely, there really isn't an alternative to SP2 for me at this point. I'm hooked...

Very interesting, thanks for the followup. I think that's a useful observation to get to official MS channels... One of the Q&A posts on the official MS boards or create a new one, I imagine. Maybe ask others if they can replicate this behavior.

Edit to add, missed this:
I just spent my last hour talking to MS Support over the phone. That went about as bad as the Chat support - I was put on hold for "3-5 minutes" probably 10 times, and every time the tech got back, he would ask a single step, like "are you on balanced mode?", then put me on hold, until I mentioned to the tech that it's a known problem and pointed him to MS Forums. At the point he put me on hold again, and came back saying that based on the forums it looks like MS will have to release a software update, but that I should exchange my device... I'm not used to dealing with Tech support, so maybe I'm assuming too much thinking that the front-line tech guys have any actual technical knowledge. This is starting to get way too frustrating. I love the device but I can't have it crash 4 times a day.

I think I'm going to try a reset, and if that doesn't work, wait close to my 45 day return period from Best Buy. If there isn't a solution by then, it will sadly be going back...

Front-line techs know nothing. :) I can tell you that in the vast majority of cases, it's scripted. In stricter call center settings, deviating from a script can be a cause for firing (not joking---I've never worked in such a setting but have friends who had). Sorry about your crappy experiences with them, meh. :( But maybe the trick you found up there will actually work out, at least temporarily.

Last edited: