What's new

Ransomware blocked my IE

bobdecastro

Hello there Im just wandering a ransomware "ministry of public safety canada" infected my surface rt that says "attention" your browser has been blocked for safety reasons...." I hope you can help me on how to remove this ransomware on my surface rt. Looking forward to hear from you. thanks.

leeshor

I'm not sure what else it may have said as some ransomeware encrypts your drive and can't be undone. But you could get Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org and run it in safe mode, (with networking so it can update), for starters.

kundas1

From most yes, but IE 11 is full version on our RT so it is still susceptible to malmares/viruses that target IE 11... funny you post this question because I just did an update today and it is a security update for IE 11...

From most yes, but IE 11 is full version on our RT so it is still susceptible to malmares/viruses that target IE 11... funny you post this question because I just did an update today and it is a security update for IE 11...
You are mistaken. IE 11 is NOT a full version on the RT.

kristalsoldier

Ah...yes...that's the update the most people have been choking about recently. I got that too a day or so back.

show me where it says this? and I'm not talking about the metro version... I'm talking about the desktop version.
I'm not going to play tit-for-tat with you. I could easily challenge you to show me where it says that RT IE *IS* the full version. RT IE is not the full version because it lacks functions of the full desktop version... including support for browser plug-ins, Java, WMV playback. Now you might say that you don't care about those things but those capabilities ARE missing from RT IE.

oion

OP could you post a screenshot of the Notice? If the Trojan:Win32/Urausy.C Ransomware has infected an RT Machine it would be the first confirmed case... the Notice detects the version of Windows and puts it into the Notice to add validity that it comes from a true authority.

Here is more information on the Trojan:

Trojan:Win32/Urausy.C

Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Ransomware

Thanks,

I was really wondering if this was possible. Would be interesting if this is the case and not PEBCAK.

kundas1

I'm not going to play tit-for-tat with you. I could easily challenge you to show me where it says that RT IE *IS* the full version. RT IE is not the full version because it lacks functions of the full desktop version... including support for browser plug-ins, Java, WMV playback. Now you might say that you don't care about those things but those capabilities ARE missing from RT IE.

Pfft! Not gonna play tot-for-tat with you neither, but your theories on why IE11 on the S2 is not full doesn't hold anything either... reason you can't install plug-ins is because everything on the S2 is more closed down and not being able to install plug-ins (x86) also is OS dependent and installing things is not the same as the S2, doesn't mean that IE11 isn't full version, just means it's more restrictions on what can be installed (no x86 programs)... also Java is being phased out completely and HTML5 is the replacement... so why would you want to install/have Java? But whatever dude, think what you want... :rolleyes: