What's new

Rat Rating - Found an excellent mouse - Better than Wedge

Deckyon

TLDR replies. I have that exact mouse and love it. The thing just works. Logitech has always done a good job with their peripherals.

However as with anything, mice rely on how people feel about what is in there hands. I always tell people to get hands on before deciding.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
TLDR replies. I have that exact mouse and love it. The thing just works. Logitech has always done a good job with their peripherals.

However as with anything, mice rely on how people feel about what is in there hands. I always tell people to get hands on before deciding.

20140305_054135000_iOS.jpg

Nickolai

I meant that to me, the Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition has a rather tall profile, and is bulky in a bag.
ok. I thought Arc had this covered; as it's supposed to fold. It's hard to judge just from the pictures on the net.
So, that's what the draw of the Wedge was, but, I guess, Logitech has outdone it?

kristalsoldier

ok. I thought Arc had this covered; as it's supposed to fold. It's hard to judge just from the pictures on the net.
So, that's what the draw of the Wedge was, but, I guess, Logitech has outdone it?

Exactly, I thought so too. I have the USB version of the Arc and it straightens out (which also shuts off the mouse) when I want to store it away. When I want to use it, I curl it inwards into an "arc". Is the Surface Edition different?

cdf3

Exactly, I thought so too. I have the USB version of the Arc and it straightens out (which also shuts off the mouse) when I want to store it away. When I want to use it, I curl it inwards into an "arc". Is the Surface Edition different?

The Surface edition folds flat as well. It just has a different texture, and uses bluetooth rather than a USB dongle for connection.

Arizona Willie

No, I still have occassional problems with it thinking a simple touch is a click and making the open application go away.

In order to try to prevent it, as much as possible, it is necessary to maintain a fairly heavy touch on the mouse at all times. If my fingertip just barely touches the surface of the mouse, it often thinks it has been clicked and whatever app I'm in disappears and has to be relaunched. Mysteriously, it does not minimize the app but makes it go away as though it had been closed, but it hasn't been. If I relaunch the app it comes right back up where I was with no loss of info I might have been inputting. The way it behaves is very strange.

I can only attribute it to static electricity. In the Arizona desert it is very dry. The humidity rarely gets above 30%, even in the middle of a monsoon, and is often down in the 5 - 10% range. Perhaps I should carry a sheet of aluminum foil with me and put the Surface and the mouse on the foil when I want to use them to keep them at the same potential and remove static. But I don't think that is going to happen. If it was a corded mouse, there would not likely be a problem with static but I'm pretty sure that is the cause of this problem.

Arizona Willie,

I hope you end up liking the way the Logitech Ultrathin mouse works. Yes, when you click, the mouse itself goes down. I prefer this, because my hand can sense that the mouse has been clicked better this way, and also, the very subtle pressure impact wave on the tabletop also provides the feedback. Much better than the "did I press the mouse button / wrong mouse button?" issues of the Wedge.

Wayne Orwig

I can only attribute it to static electricity. In the Arizona desert it is very dry. The humidity rarely gets above 30%, even in the middle of a monsoon, and is often down in the 5 - 10% range. Perhaps I should carry a sheet of aluminum foil with me and put the Surface and the mouse on the foil when I want to use them to keep them at the same potential and remove static. But I don't think that is going to happen. If it was a corded mouse, there would not likely be a problem with static but I'm pretty sure that is the cause of this problem.

Only thing wrong with that idea is that static typically needs a path to ground to be a problem. Since the T630 is 'floating', there should not be a discharge path. A corded mouse SHOULD have more issues with static.
But, you never know.

gangolfus

I have this mouse, and I generally like it. It's a little small for my hands, but my Surface Pro is a secondary computing device for me, so I'm willing to put up with it for its portability and not all day/every day use.

The other issue I realized today is, because clicks occur by pressing down the entire top of the mouse against the lower half of the mouse, you can't pick up the mouse while holding down a button. The usage scenario for me is when clicking and dragging to somewhere well off screen. My habit is to pick up the mouse when I reach the edge of my mousing area, then sit it back down on the other side while holding down the mouse button. With this mouse, picking up the mouse un-engages the click. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying when I forget.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You need a bigger mousing area, gangolfus. :p Good point, though.

A feature not mentioned in my OP is that the mouse can be configured for two devices. On its underside, a switch can easily be flipped from "1" to "2", referring to the computer. I use this mouse for both a Mac and a Surface.

underside_ultrathin-touch-mouse-t630.jpg