What's new

Reader App Can't Open PDFs - Adobe Can?

Lolvo

The Reader app that comes with the Surface cannot open a PDF that I use, it says the format isn't supported. And yet the Adobe Reader app I just downloaded works flawlessly with it...what gives? What's the point of having a built-in PDF viewer if it can't view PDFs??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is that PDF file DRM'd or password protected? Adobe still has way in breaking compatibility depending on how the PDF file was encoded. Can you open this particular PDF file in Word 2013?

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

Is that PDF file DRM'd or password protected? Adobe still has way in breaking compatibility depending on how the PDF file was encoded. Can you open this particular PDF file in Word 2013?

No protection on it that I know of; the PDF is a compilation of photos taken, does not include text in the actual document - Word (desktop) "can" open it, but wants to convert it to a text file that is editable. Being a collection of photos, it would not work. Reader displays "There is a problem with this file format." - viewing this PDF on my laptop, I run into a similar issue where the file shows as "corrupt", opening in Adobe on my laptop...only the first photo is visible, all others are corrupted.