What's new

Reader

Transformer

Is there a reader available which will allow me to read books whether they come from Chapters or Amazon or where ever? Or do I need a different reader for each. I saw one reader which seemed to work for only free books so I am wondering if there is a generic one size fits all reader. Also, any recommendations. Thanks.

beman39

I use fiction book reader lite which reads both mobi and epub, but just goto the store and do a search and read the reviews and I'm sure you'll find something to your liking

Russ

Is there a reader available which will allow me to read books whether they come from Chapters or Amazon or where ever?

Transformer --

First, are you using a Pro or RT? With the RT, your choices are limited to apps from the store.

As Beman suggests, Fiction Book Reader is a good choice. It will read mobi and epub, but not the Amazon azw format. For that you need the Kindle reader app. I use the Kindle for PC app on my Pro (not the same as the Kindle Reader app). It allows me to "side load" mobi books, but will not read epub books. I am not aware of anything that will read mobi, epub and azw.

Regards,
Russ

OP
T

Transformer

Thanks, now I understand different formats, different readers. So I downloaded the Kobo app and went to buy my first ebook. Lots and lots of problems, lots of on line chat and a one hour plus phone call to get things working. When the book was finally downloaded and working I asked how to turn the pages. I could only see 5 pages. The help person on the line said let me look. She replied "This book is only 5 pages long." I was given a credit for the purchase price toward my next purchase. And if you are interested the name of the book was "How to Weld Stainless Steel" and the author seems to have several other books listed.

Russ

I could only see 5 pages. The help person on the line said let me look. She replied "This book is only 5 pages long."

Transformer --

I hope you had a clever comeback for that. The best I can usually manage is, "Oh."

There is a wealth of free material out there, mostly in Epub and Mobi format. If you are reading epub, you might try the Freda reader (free in the store). I use it when I want to read an epub book. You can find a lot just by searching online for "free ebooks."

Regards,
Russ

machistmo

Transformer --

I hope you had a clever comeback for that. The best I can usually manage is, "Oh."

There is a wealth of free material out there, mostly in Epub and Mobi format. If you are reading epub, you might try the Freda reader (free in the store). I use it when I want to read an epub book. You can find a lot just by searching online for "free ebooks."

Regards,
Russ

I would have said "they call 5 pages part of a chapter" Refund please.