What's new

Really excited for SP2 delivery

Im ready to jump on the surface pro 2 bandwagon, I have a lenovo x230 that I am replacing mainly due to weight. I hate carrying it around and it goes everywhere I go, I also have an ipad mini but may pass it along if the surface has excellent battery life. I do ALOT of traveling so a mobile pc is a must, I played around the pro 1 and love it but the battery life on it is a deal breaker. I am going to attempt to use it exclusively as a tablet without a keyboard but may change my mind on that.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dim-Ize

@oion

... USB 3.0 - Surface always had that, right? Yes. Woops I believe Surface Pro had it, but not the Surface RT?

... supports Office - Well, it actually doesn't... :p Woops again. I get Office 2013 for $10 from my company. I meant, "supports Office" - not to be confused with what's included on the Surface RT & Surface 2.

You were right to correct me. Thanks!

Last edited:

demandarin

The Surface is not meant to be taken apart with the RAM soldered directly onto the motherboard.

Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit

[video=youtube;xI1kKHIfh-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1kKHIfh-Q[/video]

I've seen a YouTube video where the guy took it apart and upgraded the ssd. He upgraded the 128gb to a 256gb. So with alto of patience and risk taking and guitar picks, the pro can be taken apart.

D

Deleted member 10837

I've seen a YouTube video where the guy took it apart and upgraded the ssd. He upgraded the 128gb to a 256gb. So with alto of patience and risk taking and guitar picks, the pro can be taken apart.

I did not say it was not possible to take apart but was rather referring to the design. The SSD is a standard mSATA that's not soldered to the motherboard.

Ruffles

How many of you lucky SP2 owners have a SP1? I'm waiting to upgrade until someone can post some real world battery comparisons. I'm REALLY hopping it can get 7 hours.

oion

How many of you lucky SP2 owners have a SP1? I'm waiting to upgrade until someone can post some real world battery comparisons. I'm REALLY hopping it can get 7 hours.

Seven hours doing what? It's always meaningful to post the actual use test for those things. Some people are getting at least 6 hours regularly on an SP1 for their use cases, while others only manage 3 hours. Even if Surface Pro 2 falls right in-line with Microsoft's claim--"Up to 10 hours of battery life for video playback"--there's such a disparity among scenarios for SP1 that it could mean 7 hours of gaming versus 12 hours of word processing.

mitchellvii

If you already have the SP just buy the battery cover and a case with an adjustable kickstand - bingo, ghetto SP2 for $225.

Last edited:

Ruffles

Seven hours doing what? It's always meaningful to post the actual use test for those things. Some people are getting at least 6 hours regularly on an SP1 for their use cases, while others only manage 3 hours. Even if Surface Pro 2 falls right in-line with Microsoft's claim--"Up to 10 hours of battery life for video playback"--there's such a disparity among scenarios for SP1 that it could mean 7 hours of gaming versus 12 hours of word processing.

True. That's why I'm looking for the number of hours improvement. If people that used to get say 6 on their SP1 can get 10 on the SP2 using it the same way, then people like me will be able to figure out about how much more they will get if they upgrade. MS said the SP2 would get 75% longer batter life. I'm one of those people that only gets about 3.5 hours on their SP1. +75% would only give me about 6.1 hours. I don't know if I'll drop a grand (I'd get the 8/256 and figure about $500 for my 128 used) for about 2.6 hours more life. I'm tempted. I just feel like 7 is my min.

...who am I kidding, I'll probably get one anyway :).

Nuspieds

Exactly!

Such claims are always qualified and are never across-the-board. In my case, I like maximum screen brightness and maximum CPU performance, so I'm definitely a battery hog. The measuring stick I'll be using is my coast-to-coast travels, where I have a connection and cannot make it through both flights if I don't recharge after the first flight.

hypokondriak

Every single person, bar one, that I've seen has ordered 256/8! I guess this would have been what I went for too... in a way I'm glad I'm not getting it because damn it does cost quite a bit!

I actually ordered the 64/4. I just don't use the space that other people use because I prefer to keep all my media remote. My music is all Google Play in the cloud, my movies are all sitting on my Synology NAS, and my TV is Aereo / Netflix / Amazon. I don't game either, and I bet if I did the 256/8 would be a lot more appealing. My biggest regret with the SP1 was going for the bigger device because I feel like I wasted $100. I also travel a lot so I just rotate movies in and out which isn't a big deal (certainly wish the S2/Pro2 came with an AC card).

I actually bought a Surface 2 too hoping that I can just use that instead. I have a full Citrix environment at home so my situation is quite unique, and I thought that the Surface RT was too laggy as a thin client situation in my initial testing earlier this year. If the Surface 2 is better I'm just going to return my Pro 2 because I've got oodles of RAM and CPU in my VM environment.

I'm actually most looking forward to the Bluetooth enabled type 2 keyboard. I bought the keyboard and the adapter. I *hate* having the keyboard attached to the small screen of the Pro1 when I'm in my multi screen environment, and the type 1 keyboard is actually my favorite keyboard to type on. I prefer it more than my full sized keyboards oddly enough.

My biggest disappointment will be if the following aren't fixed:

-I've owned 3 Pro's due to problems, and every one loses the keyboard / trackpad from time to time causing me to pull and reconnect.
-Network card sucks in all 3 too. Two different routers and I still have network problems. Been more stable with 8.1 / network drivers.
-IE11 scrolling back through pages is bad. Nowhere near as fast as a Mac and on all 3 sometimes it loads a page way back in history. I doubt this will be fixed with SP hardware, but hopefully Microsoft makes it back because sometimes it crashes my whole IE session.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8