What's new

Really poor battery life with PDF reading

OP
G

girarcat

I'm using the default W8 Reader, but i see the blank page even with Adobe Reader (both the desktop and Touch versions). I think the problem comes from OneNote, something I'm doing wrong, maybe. As you can see in this picture, I already have the blank page problem before exporting the PDF. When I print the PDF to OneNote, the blank page appears (in fact it isn't completely blank, the title of the file and the date are written on it).

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using OneNote since 2003 and have never seen the blank page issue, do you have any add-ins or PDF Printers installed?

OP
G

girarcat

Nothing odd installed. I just bought Microsoft Office and installed OneNote, nothing else

Last edited:
OP
G

girarcat

Checked, and same problem with Adobe Reader, Adobe Reader Touch and PDF Touch.
I think I already know where the problem comes from.
If you start writing with your stylus on a blank page on OneNote, if your text extends too far to the right side of the page (when writing on an endless kind of page, not a page with a determined size, like A4 size for instance) and then you export it to PDF, you are going to view it as 2 pages, since OneNote automatically divides your text in two different pages, just in case you want to print it down, I guess.
Here you can see and example. I draw a very long wave on and endless page. Once exported to PDF, the very same wave is divided in 3 different pages.

That's what I think is happening to me when I export a PDF from OneNote. As you can see in the following picture of a PDF created by OneNote (viewed with W8 Reader), the original "text" is displaced to the right, it is not perfectly centered. Because of that, when I print a PDF to OneNote, I guess it thinks the whole text doesn’t fit in just one page, so it creates a blank page that follows the one in the picture, just to accommodate the edge of the text of the previous page (there's no such text to be accommodated, since the original text is just slightly displaced to the right, so it still fits perfectly in one page).

So I dare say the problem is that when I print a PDF to OneNote, the program displaces it a little bit to the right, creating a blank page following every written page of the original PDF because it thinks there is not enough space in one single sheet to accommodate the whole text.
What do you think about that? Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense....I guess because you want to import and export the PDF format, use fixed pages. Once I put it into OneNote I leave it....

OP
G

girarcat

Yeah, but even if I don't export it to PDF, when I import the document to OneNote, I already have the problem of the displaced page, viewing it like this:

I don't know how to import a PDF to OneNote without having this displacement...

OP
G

girarcat

As far as I know, I don't think I have installed it... How could I install the SP1?

BTW, just tried DrawboardPDF and it's wonderful!! It's the app I had been looking for since I bought my Surface!! Thanks for recommending it to me!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Run the desktop control panel of Windows Update and you should see it in the Update List, unless you are using the Click to Run version of Office365 then it would be a separate update process, there should be a notification in the Task Tray.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you have SP1 installed the MSO version number will be 15.0.4569.1506....open up the About in any Office App.