What's new

Really Terrible Battery Life With Pro 2?

Sir Face

I just upgraded from a Surface 2 to a Pro 2 after having so many boot up issues with the former. I thought the battery life was rather poor with it, but I can't believe just how poor it is with this new Pro 2! I'm barley getting 4 hours or so. Is this really the story here with the Pro2's? I am hoping the battery life improves after a few charge/discharge cycles. This would almost render it useless for my applications.

bamaster

At what settings? Full brightness on High Performance power settings?

Tweak your power settings. The only thing I have on "maximum" is my wifi adapter. Everything else is dialed down when unplugged. I get 6-7 hours with normal use.

bluegrass

I just upgraded from a Surface 2 to a Pro 2 after having so many boot up issues with the former. I thought the battery life was rather poor with it, but I can't believe just how poor it is with this new Pro 2! I'm barley getting 4 hours or so. Is this really the story here with the Pro2's? I am hoping the battery life improves after a few charge/discharge cycles. This would almost render it useless for my applications.

I think you will find you're in a small minority. You might want to take it back to the MS store and speak with a tech.

kristalsoldier

After wake from hibernate the CPU can be pegged at 25 - 30% when a SD card is mounted, this can accelerate battery drain if the user is unaware.

That would pretty much kill the utility of the on-board additional drive capability. I am not sure I would subscribe to this though without more information.

eee

Are you running any cloud services other than SkyDrive? I found that Google Drive and Dropbox reduce battery life by about 1.5hrs.

macmee

After wake from hibernate the CPU can be pegged at 25 - 30% when a SD card is mounted, this can accelerate battery drain if the user is unaware.

really? What does Windows do to the SD card on every wake from hibernate? Might be a good idea to write a script that unmounts the sd card automatically on hibernate.

grumpy

This happens on mine without the SD card inserted. It doesn't occur after every wake, but it seems to be occurring more frequently.