What's new

Reawaken after sleep working now

coolowl

It is too soon to be sure but ever since I removed the required pin login yesterday my Surface has re-awakened every time by just tapping a key. This had always been the case until a week ago. I started having difficulty after sleep. I'd open my keyboard like normal, the lights under the F keys turned on, but the screen was black. Tap a key no longer worked. I'd have to hold the power button down for a while. Then, push it again. Over and over I'd do this until finally Surface would come alive. It was a real bother.

That's what got me to jettison all my required login stuff. Got rid of Hello, then the password for my Outlook account, and then yesterday my pin number business.

Well, to my joyful surprise Surface has awakened every single time (knock on wood) since then. Could there be a connection or have I just gotten lucky?

UPDATE Saturday afternoon:
Nope. Worked up until just now. Key tap, touchpad tap did nothing. Had to push the power button to reawaken. Fortunately it only required one push for a quick second.

Last edited:

pharkas

Interestingly, I just disabled Windows Hello to see if that would resolve my wake-up issues as well. It definitely seems to have made a difference for the better, but I have only had it disabled for a day so I can't make a definitive determination at this point.

boombuia

Since I got mine about 3 weeks ago, I've also had the black screen whilst trying to wake it up - not often, and I could not tell what circumstances are the trigger. Some people are saying that unplugging the AC power after closing the lid is the issue, but the black screen happened to me at least once where I was working purely off battery, so it wasn't that. I tried different tricks to wake it up, including pressing Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, with no luck - only holding the power button would do it. I always kept Hello active as I quite like the feature and would like to keep using it.

But earlier today I ran the sfc /scannow command to find and fix any file issues, in the interim I had to download a Windows 10 image and ran the dism /restorehealth command, so I'm now doing some early tests. But I just had my first black screen, and this time it was different, as I could see the infrared light coming on. And the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B trick worked!

I will keep testing and will post back if the "unwakeable" problem returns.

pharkas

Just as an update, disabling Windows Hello did not in fact help in the end. I just had some the black screen after trying to wake up from sleep issue.

OP
C

coolowl

Yeah, totally bogus. This thread should be deleted. Removing login requirements does not fix the problem of a black screen after sleep.

I have the same issue. I have restored twice and it seems to have been worse after applying the Feb driver updates. Maybe rolling back to the previous Intel video driver?

saidgta

I really hate my surface!
This and these problems made this device useless for me...
I experience this wake up problem 3 time per day and every time i must keep power button and loosing all of my works...
I really hate you microsoft...

pharkas

I really hate my surface!
This and these problems made this device useless for me...
I experience this wake up problem 3 time per day and every time i must keep power button and loosing all of my works...
I really hate you microsoft...

The most popular current workaround is to simply not use sleep at all. Instead, set the device to never sleep, and instead use hibernate. This includes changing your power settings to hibernate when closing the lid, pressing the power button, etc.

Although not a solution, it does get rid of the annoyingness of having to do a hard reset every time the device wakes up.

Last edited:

saidgta

The current

The most popular current workaround is to simply not use sleep at all. Instead, set the device to never sleep, and instead use hibernate. This includes changing your power settings to hibernate when closing the lid, pressing the power button, etc.

Although not a solution, it does get rid of the annoyingness of having to do a hard reset every time the device wakes up.
Are you know every time a pc hibernate(or shut Down),the SD storage life will be shorter?

pharkas

Are you know every time a pc hibernate(or shut Down),the SD storage life will be shorter?

Very true, but I question the actual net effect in overall life of the SSD. I guess I am a skeptic that it will actually have a significant impact in terms of the number of years that I get out of my drive (sounds like an interesting study), and given the sleep issues with the Surface, it is a tradeoff that I am willing to make. I will check back in 2 years when my SSD is kaput, lol.

Shut down on the other hand, why would that decrease the life of the SSD? If I am not mistaken, hibernation dumps to contents of what is being stored in memory to the SSD (or HDD), but the same is not true of shut down. Although, there is certainly going to some writing to the disk during shut down, I don't know if it rivals what is happening during hibernation.

Thoughts?

boombuia

The current

I guess you're right, mine is still having these issues (after running the SFC and DISM commands), so I will try using hibernate instead of sleep.

What do you use for these settings:

Turn off the display (default 5 or 10 minutes, on battery or plugged in, respectively)
Put the computer to sleep (idem)

Thanks!