What's new

Recall makes the Surface Pro 3 worthless

EHoskinson

hhmm... I did the replacement AC cord for my SP3; but what about the spare power adapter? Has anyone managed to get a replacement for one of these?
I contacted tech support on a chat and they found that the serial number for my "spare" power supply indicated it was out of warranty and the cord wasn't eligible for the recall. I explained that warranty had nothing to do with it and if the cord on the power supply included with my Surface Pro was defective (Microsoft says to disconnect it immediately) then the cord on the additional power supply I purchased on the same order was also defective and dangerous. They agreed that was a valid point, would check into it, and get back to me ... I'm not holding my breath!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why should they replace it if it is not eligible for the recall? And why do you assume that the one shipped with the sp3 is identical to the second one you bought? you could by 2 sp3s at the same time and they could be different batches.

EHoskinson

Why should they replace it if it is not eligible for the recall? And why do you assume that the one shipped with the sp3 is identical to the second one you bought? you could by 2 sp3s at the same time and they could be different batches.
They are identical cords both, in their words, defective items. You can view the picture of the defective cord on their recall page. The power supply doesn't make any difference. It's the cord itself they have deemed as unsafe and are replacing. If the purchase was made prior to the date specified then it is supposed to be replaced. They have based the recall/replacement on the serial number of the Surface and not the power supply as it should be. There are thousands of individuals that have purchased additional power supplies that included the defective (dangerous) cord that have to go elsewhere for a replacement. This recall/replacement covers the Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3 sold before their specified date.

jrioux

I tried to trade my Surface Pro 3 into Best Buy over the weekend for something that doesn't get so hot, it cooks eggs. Best Buy won't accept a trade-in because of the recall. That makes my Surface Pro essentially worthless.

I am sick of buying Microsoft products because they turn out to be defective. It started with the Xbox 360 (red-ring of death). I had to return my Xbox One for a replacement. Now my Surface Pro 3 is worthless.

I spent over a half hour with Microsoft Support today. This consisted of being shuttled back and forth and placed on long hold times. Finally they said there is nothing that they can do. How do they stay in business?
I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I'll even pay your shipping charges.

Metalman

I have a Surface pro and a Surface Pro 3. With the Pro I have two power supplies and a docking station. With the Pro 3 I only have one power supply.
What I did is order the replacement power supply cord for my pro then went through the order process two more time for the extra power supply and the docking station.
Then I order one for my Pro 3.
All the power supplies plug cables where delivered fine.

Kris

I tried to trade my Surface Pro 3 into Best Buy over the weekend for something that doesn't get so hot, it cooks eggs. Best Buy won't accept a trade-in because of the recall. That makes my Surface Pro essentially worthless.

I am sick of buying Microsoft products because they turn out to be defective. It started with the Xbox 360 (red-ring of death). I had to return my Xbox One for a replacement. Now my Surface Pro 3 is worthless.

I spent over a half hour with Microsoft Support today. This consisted of being shuttled back and forth and placed on long hold times. Finally they said there is nothing that they can do. How do they stay in business?

Your issue isn't with MS it's with BestBuy... How long have you had your SP3? How long has it been getting too hot?

ramiss

Because MS itself states that power cords are eligible based on a purchase date prior to mid 2015. The trouble is that they are only approving original cords purchased with the Surface, which is crap. If someone purchased a power supply separately, and it is defective then it should apply. I'm looking forward to reading about that lawsuit.