What's new

Received my Surface2. Impressions so far...

Well, I got my S2RT64GB yesterday. I also bought the Type Cover 2 backlighted keyboard. I've only messed with it for a couple of hours, but my first impression of the S2 is that it seems faster. I like the new grey/silver color. The keyboard keystroke depth is a bit shallower, but I like the feel and I do appreciate the backlighting on the new KB. I'm a big fan of Outlook being added to the Office RT Suite. The Cons so far (and they may sort themselves out) Text and icon size on the desktop are smaller. (possibly due to higher out of the box resolution) I had to set screen resolution lower to increase these sizes because the old icon & text sizing seems to be disabled. This probably just requires additional tweaking on my part, but my initial impression was everything is too small. I still don't like the felt-like KB backing and would prefer a smooth KB cover. SkyDrive is preset to automatically upload all documents. Easy to change, but I would prefer the default was no auto-uploading. I'm having a bit of a problem with Outlook currently, it fails to load and will only start in "Outlook Safe Mode". I've completed 22 updates, including a firmware upgrade, but these minor inconveniences continue. I had no problems with connecting to my wireless printers or my home NAS. Overall I'm very happy with the Surface2 and my wife loves it because she inherited my original Surface RT 32gb. I'm wondering how others who have received their Surface 2 tablets feel about it.

I can't wait to get a Type Cover 2 soon enough. Overall I'm very impressed with it. RT is pushing the envelope for a supposedly mobile OS-it doesn't feel that far off of full Windows 8.1.

oion

The gaming/graphics benchmarks for Surface 2 compared to Surface 1 are definitely amazing when you see the actual results on video (see other thread).

I and others posted brief "unboxing" comments in the thread http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-2/6317-surface-2-reviews-videos-5.html

I'm still setting mine up and tweaking, however, and I agree that the text and stuff are a wee bit too small for me, so hopefully there is or will be a way to adjust; not a fan of the magnifier, and lowering resolution makes things a bit fuzzy. :(

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

Onion: I ended up lowering my resolution. I don't see any degradation in quality. I'm still tweaking size setting in various apps. I found the out of the box image and text sizes were very difficult to use. My eyes are 20/20 so I don't think it's me. I've just about got things the way I want them, but keep finding places that need some adjustment. Overall I'm very happy with my S2.

beman39

^^^ hahaha he called you ONION, like I posted in another thread I almost always make that mistake too. Anyways I can't wait to get mine on Friday when BB gets new orders in, already have the type cover 2 putting it through its paces as I type on it now... checked out the screen and its so crystal clear and nice, can't wait to also play a little halo on the new Surface!

oion

Onion: I ended up lowering my resolution. I don't see any degradation in quality. I'm still tweaking size setting in various apps. I found the out of the box image and text sizes were very difficult to use. My eyes are 20/20 so I don't think it's me. I've just about got things the way I want them, but keep finding places that need some adjustment. Overall I'm very happy with my S2.

Oh, no wonder I was confused. You double-posted this in separate forums. :p I figured out how to increase the zoom from 150% to 200%, and it looks good to me--
As for screen resolution, second screenshot (our default for the first screenshot is already set to largest, which is 150%):
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands-windows-81-desktop-display-scaling
"Let me choose" and then you get the manual drop-down zoom levels. Don't forget to hit "Apply" at the bottom.

But between the above option or merely changing resolution, at least there are options (minus the magnifier, which is still kinda annoying).

^^^ hahaha he called you ONION, like I posted in another thread I almost always make that mistake too. Anyways I can't wait to get mine on Friday when BB gets new orders in, already have the type cover 2 putting it through its paces as I type on it now... checked out the screen and its so crystal clear and nice, can't wait to also play a little halo on the new Surface!

It happens a lot so I don't even notice it anymore, since I've had this handle for so long.
I'd like to try some "heavier" 3D games, but I'm just not into shooters. Hmm.

oion

OION: My apologies for the "onion" gaff

No worries, mate. :)

I do agree about the keyboard backing, by the way; it's better than the original felt, but I wish it'd just be smooth pleather/plastic and be done with it. I can brush this off more easily but not really wipe it down. I don't like the fuzzier feel of the touchpad, either; being not-smooth for a touch surface seems to defeat the purpose.

kristalsoldier

Can anyone of you who just got their Surface 2 please do an extended review of it? What would make such a review valuable is that it would be based on your real-life usage and not based on out-worldly stuff like some of the professional reviewers base their reviews on. Naturally, this is contingent on whether you have the time and/ or the inclination. Thanks in advance!

oion

Can anyone of you who just got their Surface 2 please do an extended review of it? What would make such a review valuable is that it would be based on your real-life usage and not based on out-worldly stuff like some of the professional reviewers base their reviews on. Naturally, this is contingent on whether you have the time and/ or the inclination. Thanks in advance!

I'm planning on it, but mine probably won't help you because I'm notorious for doing such things weeks/months after a purchase. And I'm still trying to figure out which CMS to install on my website before all of that. :(