What's new

Recommendations for Surface Pro that I can write on and use screen recording software

kat.hayes

I want to get a Microsoft tablet that will allow me to do the following:
- install the same type of software that can be installed on a desktop Windows computer, so I can have Office, and screen recording software, etc.
- use a stylus pen that will allow me to write on the screen (my goal is to make screen recorded software of me writing math equations on screen)
- costs in the same price range as an iPad

Thanks for any info.

ZachBui

the surface pro can do all that, except that the price won't be of that of the iPad range.(Depends what iPad you mean and what how much memory. But I mean, to be able to install the same type of software on a desktop, then for the surface pro you'll be getting more.

OP
K

kat.hayes

Thanks for the replies.

Screen resolution is not too important.

1. How do you install cds of software on a surface pro?
2. Can you make a recommendation for a model based on my requirements. I'd like the least expensive one possible even if more expensive than an ipad
3. Should I also consider a tabletpc? Are those still supported by MS?

Thanks.

Lolvo

I want to get a Microsoft tablet that will allow me to do the following:
- install the same type of software that can be installed on a desktop Windows computer, so I can have Office, and screen recording software, etc.
- use a stylus pen that will allow me to write on the screen (my goal is to make screen recorded software of me writing math equations on screen)
- costs in the same price range as an iPad

Thanks for any info.

The Surface Pro is going to be your best bet. It will do everything you need, and then some. The price will be higher than you will pay for any iPad, for good reason. The ability for full USB3 will come in handy for what you are doing, as well as SD memory. The SP comes with a stylus and a great interface to use it.

"CDs" of software are installed a few ways, and come down to choice and type of program. Using ISO copies or keeping the program on a higher-class USB drive will work.
It's all about personal preference; however, I feel that the Surface Pro would meet all of your business needs, then exceed them.

EMINENT

If you don't have a screen recorder to use. I use screencast-o-matic.com. It's great. I actually paid for the 3yr. and enjoy recording while saving at the same time in HD resolution. It also gives the ability to use the internal sound should you record a webcam or video, or mic also if you need to narrate. You can also save locally or upload/publish directly to Youtube, Google Drive, Vimeo and more.

As far as the least expensive, take into acct. that the lowest 64gb model will only have 29gb of useable with the recovery. You can save the recovery to usb drive to gain an additional 9gb if you want. The 128gb version will come with 89gb useable. You can always get expandable storage though.

Igor

"CDs" of software are installed a few ways, and come down to choice and type of program. Using ISO copies or keeping the program on a higher-class USB drive will work.

Just to add to this external USB powered CD/DVD drives are fairly inexpensive now so that's another option if you're not comfortable changing from one medium to another. Although the other two options are probably better.

OP
K

kat.hayes

Just to make sure I understand:

1. Is there only one manufacturer that makes a surface pro? In other words, there are many companies that make tablet pcs. If I go to a store looking for a surface pro is there only one model I will be looking at?

2. Are there any limitations to what you can install on the os? I need to install java and other plugins. Any reasons that this could be a problem?

3. Since it has USB. Does this mean it will recognize any USB device, such as headsets, printers, external webcams, etc

Thanks!

EMINENT

Yes. Surface Pro is only made by MS. There are other companies that make W8 tablets though. All W8 tablets will have USB and the Pro versions running full W8 will allow all plugins such as Java or third party browsers and programs.

Lolvo

Just to make sure I understand:

1. Is there only one manufacturer that makes a surface pro? In other words, there are many companies that make tablet pcs. If I go to a store looking for a surface pro is there only one model I will be looking at?

2. Are there any limitations to what you can install on the os? I need to install java and other plugins. Any reasons that this could be a problem?

3. Since it has USB. Does this mean it will recognize any USB device, such as headsets, printers, external webcams, etc

Thanks!

Microsoft is the manufacturer of the Surface lineup (RT/Pro). There are several other W8 tablets in the market, that all have essentially the same features. The Pro models (like the Surface Pro) run a full version of Windows 8 and will be able to handle all your java and all that.

Yes the Surface Pro runs full USB 3.0 and has an SDXC slot. Lots of extra storage and device connections are possible.

OP
K

kat.hayes

Perhaps if I went to a Apple discussion forum asking questions about an iPad I might be able to see this type of response being warranted. However, how many people are using Surface Pros? I do not know a single person, though I know at least a hundred using iPads and Android tablets. I do not see asking basic questions about an unfamiliar technology as that strange. This was not meant to be a knock at Surface Pros, I was asking these questions because I am interested in getting one...

Thanks to everyone who genuinely helped me....I will likely not be coming back.

OP
K

kat.hayes

Perhaps I could have spent more time on Google. Perhaps my searching did not return all of the answers I was looking for. Perhaps the assumption that "This means she considers her time more valuable than ours. That sense of entitlement is insulting." is completely incorrect. Perhaps I was looking for some immediate verification of some of what I read online by real people on a SP forum. Perhaps you could have just ignored responding to my post if you felt the way you did. Perhaps I was excited about the idea of using real USB functionality with a tablet. Does the iPad have USB? Android? Have you ever seen USB on devices that are limited in functionality, and only designed to work with certain peripherals?