What's new

Recommendations on a good Bluetooth mouse that has been proven to work on the Surface

Russ

I began using a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook mouse, Model 5000, that I have for use with my laptop. It paired up quickly with my RT, and works fine. I like it a lot, but it probably helps that I've been using it for a while already.

I am now using the Microsoft Wedge mouse. I ordered it to go with the Surface Pro for my Ladyfriend, so naturally I am forced to use it while I await arrival of the Pro. I like it better, especially the touch scrolling feature. I will miss it when it goes, but not yet sure if I will miss it enough to buy another one, since I already have a satisfactory Bluetooth mouse. Time will tell, . . . . ..

Regards,
Russ

compnovo

I will miss it when it goes, but not yet sure if I will miss it enough to buy another one, since I already have a satisfactory Bluetooth mouse. Time will tell, . . . . ..

If I'd had another bluetooth mouse I wouldn't have been able to justify the wedge.

Sure glad I didn't... :D

compnovo

The wedge came in the mail yesterday and wow, talk about minimalist design, it looks great. It's surprisingly easy to use although I don't know how comfortable it will be for long sessions. I didn't have any trouble pairing it with the Surface except for one glitch: the instructions call for pressing the on/off switch on the mouse until you get a red/green light, which didn't show up on mine. I just went into the control panel and added it from there, easy peasy.

Russ

Compnovo --

Well, that's what ya get for reading the instructions. :)

I just turned it on and the little darlin' hooked right up.

I really like it, but can't comment on its comfort for "long sessions." Haven't done one of those on the Surface yet; that's usually desktop stuff.

My big test will come when it's time to turn the Pro over to my Ladyfriend: which mouse will she get? Nah, not really. She will get the Wedge because it's such a nice little travel mouse for her long trips. Maybe she will lend me the money to buy another one for myself. Ya think?

Take care,
Russ

compnovo

Compnovo --
My big test will come when it's time to turn the Pro over to my Ladyfriend: which mouse will she get? Nah, not really. She will get the Wedge because it's such a nice little travel mouse for her long trips. Maybe she will lend me the money to buy another one for myself. Ya think?

Take care,
Russ

One can always hope. :LOL:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Compnovo --

Well, that's what ya get for reading the instructions. :)

I just turned it on and the little darlin' hooked right up.

I really like it, but can't comment on its comfort for "long sessions." Haven't done one of those on the Surface yet; that's usually desktop stuff.

Take care,
Russ

With all the testing you have done and the increased productivity you are about to provide her I would say a Wedge mouse is a very modest compensation.

JP ;)

Nutball

I purchased a Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse for about $30. I think amazon has them at that price.

I haven't used it that much or for extended periods, but I've been very happy with it in my light use.

I decided on it over the wedge simply because it is shaped like a 'normal' mouse that I am used to, albeit slightly smaller. The wedge's shape looked like it might be uncomfortable and take some getting used to.

Had no problems connecting to the Surface initially and no connectivity issues since. Works well on different types of surfaces.

Recommended.

Russ

With all the testing you have done and the increased productivity you are about to provide her I would say a Wedge mouse is a very modest compensation.

JP ;)

JP --

I joke about stuff like that, but she is so impulsively generous that it bothers me sometimes. She is the reason I own an iPad (which I would never have bought). Cute story, and I'm waiting for a long upgrade in my Virtual Machine, so will tell you.

She came back from China with an iPad. She bought it, thinking it might be useful for travel (it wasn't). We were going to dinner, and she asked to stop by the AT&T store to get a US SIM card for her iPad. I had not been in one of those stores before, so I was gawking around when I heard her ask the sales guy if they sold iPads. I thought it was a strange question, since she already had one. The sales guy said they did, and she said, "I want one -- biggest you have."

Suddenly, I had a sense of what she was about to do, so turned around and in the sternest voice I could muster, said, "L---, do not buy me an iPad!" The sales guy was frozen in mid-step -- looking at me, then looking at her. She motioned for him to go on and get it, then turned to me, and in the sweetest voice you can imagine, said,

"Not polite to argue in public."

Then turned away to deal with the sales guy.

Well, I already knew that it might not only be "not polite," it was totally useless to try to argue with her when she decides to do something like that. I also knew that, if I pressed the point, she would start answering me in Mandarin -- which I do not understand, except for a few courtesy words.

That's how I got to be the owner of an iPad.

My upgrade is finished now, or I would tell you about the 8-foot tall, stone Chinese pagoda temple (from China!) that stands in my Oriental garden. Same sorta thing.

Take care,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
That is indeed a cute story :D Perhaps on the next upgrade we will get to hear the pagoda story. As far as the iPad that is a generous gift and I am sure it is great for music, pictures, email, reading and web surfing. You sound like you have quite a few toys to enjoy and I am sure the iPad has its place :D

JP

Russ

That is indeed a cute story :D Perhaps on the next upgrade we will get to hear the pagoda story. As far as the iPad that is a generous gift and I am sure it is great for music, pictures, email, reading and web surfing. You sound like you have quite a few toys to enjoy and I am sure the iPad has its place :D

JP

JP --

Just in case somebody asks you, there are 122 updates to WinXP Pro after SP3! Probably nobody will ask, but a little useless knowledge is always handy to have.

It's raining here, so I'm in my shop setting up a new Windows 8 system for Ladyfriend. Since she will soon be getting the Surface Pro, I decided it's time she abandon her XP machine at home and run something comparable to the Pro. That will put her "high on the learning curve," but she's a smart Lady. Because she has a ton of messages in Outlook Express on that system, I was looking for a way to preserve them. Best solution seems to be to use Hyper-V to create a Virtual XP machine on her new Win8 system, then use XP's "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" to transfer just the Outlook Express stuff from old machine to the new virtual one. I just did a test run on my Win8 system here in the shop, using an old XP drive I keep around, and it works! Wonders never cease!

Toys? Yeah, I have a few. I'm a gadget guy, and a lot of years in electronics manufacturing seems to point me in that direction. I try to offload a few of them sometimes. My older daughter will soon be the owner of the iPad, and somebody in Ladyfriend's company is about to become the owner of a nice Core-2 system after I make that exchange.

I have now installed the XP virtual machine on her new system, and am running the 122 updates, so will tell you the "pagoda story."

[Note: I am not making fun of her English skills, but it's a lot cuter when I tell it the way she said it.]

Two points: I was creating an Oriental Garden here, and, there is a restaurant in Atlanta that we frequent, called "Golden Buddha," that has a prox 6-foot, stacked, pagoda style temple next to a lovely pond.

Well, she was in China, and she called me. I could hear the excitement in her voice.

She said, "I buy you something! For your garden."
I said something like, "That's nice, Honey, what is it?"
Still excited, she said, "I buy you a temple for your garden!"

Ok, the mind goes where it wants, so I immediately pictured a "miniature" pagoda-style temple, and I said, "That's really nice, Honey, it will look good there."
Then she said, "Like the one at Golden Buddha!"
Ok, so my mind formed a picture of a miniature temple that looks like the one at Golden Buddha.

Then she said, almost breathlessly, "But bigger!"

Now, I'm thinking, "Holy Sh-t! This crazy woman is ten thousand miles away, and she just bought me a six-foot stone temple!" I was wrong -- it is an 8-foot stone temple, but it does look nice in my garden:

The Temple

Don't remember what I said when I finally recovered enough to say anything. In case you're wondering how she got it here, she brings in well over a hundred containers a year from China alone, so she had it delivered to one of her manufacturers to put in the next container -- along with a couple of stone "lions" that she said would protect me from "Evil Spirits." (They seem to be working -- I haven't been attacked by any Evil Spirits since then):

Stone "Lions"

Did I mention that she is "impulsively generous?" Yeah, I think I did.

Well, the 122 updates are done, so back to work.

Take care,
Russ

Last edited: