What's new

Recommended MiniDP to VGA/DVI Adapter

jaekqubp

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to get an adapter to connect my Surface Pro I to an external monitor. My needs are modest, as I will be mostly connecting to a 1280x1024, but we also have a 1920x1024 monitor, that I may make use of at some point. Both monitors offer only VGA and DVI input, no HDMI. First, I am wondering if there is more consistent compatibility between VGA or DVI, and the Surface Pro, and if one interface comes more highly recommended than the other. Second, the adapters I've come upon online seem to have mixed reviews. I would like something that works, but cost is a consideration, as well.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicola

Do you know if your monitor has a DVI-D or DVI-A input? (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-peripheral/3365585/how-tell-dvi-i-dvi-d-cables-apart/)
If your goal is to only connect this one monitor (and assuming you have a DVI digital), just buy a DVI adapter. The signal will remain digital all time.
Instead with VGA you need a converter, which will convert from digital to analog (with possible impact on image quality) and will also require power from your miniDP port.
The first one will cost you few £/$/€, the latter instead considerably more.
If you want freedom of choice, instead, I can suggest you the 3-in-1 I bought: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00J5AUULA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

PCAnyWhere

I have the same as malberttoo and have had no issues. I use the HDMI in the hotel and the VGA for the office. works very well and is much better than carrying multiple adapters which I was doing while waiting for the amazon shipment to arrive.

OP
J

jaekqubp

Hi everybody. Thanks for all of this information. I'm not certain if the Surface Pro will ever be a full-time rig, so I don't know if I want to invest a huge amount of money into peripherals. The additional real estate of an external screen would certainly expand its usability. As it is a transient device, the 3-in-1 adapter has its appeal.

Do you know if your monitor has a DVI-D or DVI-A input? (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-peripheral/3365585/how-tell-dvi-i-dvi-d-cables-apart/)
If your goal is to only connect this one monitor (and assuming you have a DVI digital), just buy a DVI adapter. The signal will remain digital all time.
Instead with VGA you need a converter, which will convert from digital to analog (with possible impact on image quality) and will also require power from your miniDP port.
The first one will cost you few £/$/€, the latter instead considerably more.
If you want freedom of choice, instead, I can suggest you the 3-in-1 I bought: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00J5AUULA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thank you for all of this information. The article was particularly helpful. Based on the diagram provided, it seems that both monitors are DVI-D (Dual Link), which is somewhat surprising as they are both somewhat old. The article states: "If you want to use standard resolutions, such as 1920x1080 pixels or lower, you can use a single-link DVI cable regardless of the connector on your graphics card." As one monitor is 1920 x 1024, and the other is 1280 x 1024, it seems that single link would be suitable, if it is a significant price consideration, anyway.
As it turns out the smaller of the two, the one that would be dedicated for the most part to the Surface, seems to be on its last leg. It seems to be displaying some strange artifacts--intermittent, weird green pixelation. If that were to go, I may end up getting a new monitor anyway.

I got this little guy, does VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I've been happy with it ...
I have the same as malberttoo and have had no issues. I use the HDMI in the hotel and the VGA for the office. works very well and is much better than carrying multiple adapters which I was doing while waiting for the amazon shipment to arrive.

Thanks much for the links, and for the help.