What's new

Solved Reduced Display Resolution for Gaming

Haldi

Hei,

I've tried a few games to see how well the Surface Pro 3 performs... sadly not to well... but hey it is a low power device ^^ was to be expected.

There is only one thing i do not understand!
The Official Resolution of this Display is 2160x1440 Pixel... which is a 1.5 Ratio!
So in Gaming you would go to the next smaller Resolution with an 1.5 Ratio.
And here is the point! I could't find any!
There is NONE! no 1800x1200, no 1500x1000, no 1200x800, not even a 1080x720 Resolution.

Did i miss something or was Microsoft just like "Oh well, the Desktop works on 2160x1440 so who cares about smaller Resolutions" ?
Do i need to install some Intel GPU drivers to get this Resolutions?

I'm gonna try with toasty's CRU to create some myself, but just the fact that there are none is somewhat unexpectable for me.

greets,
Haldi

OP
Haldi

Haldi

Either the picture is slightly stretched, or you get Black Bars on the Top or Side :(

I'm gonna try with toasty's CRU to create some myself, but just the fact that there are none is somewhat unexpectable for me.
Okay..... xD Thats one thing you should NEVER try on a Surface Pro 3 ^^
a Bluescreen... haven't seen one in a while

OP
Haldi

Haldi

Okay.... i got that!
Updating the GPU drivers from 18.11.2014 or however they were timestamped to the newest Intel driver from 12 January 2015 (shows 05 January 15 in settings) gave me the intel graphics HD settings. This allows for custom Resolutions.
i now got 1504x1000 Pixel working!

Custom Resolution INTEL HD GRAPHICS.png

bluegrass

Ya. Intel would probably never create default resolution choices specifically for the Surface Pro 3, so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Umut

Thanks, I was using Sp3 without intel driver, I'll install it and add custom resolutions.
I was playing on 1280x720, but it looks awful with those black bars.