What's new

Refreshing 8.1 Beta?

mdfire

I installed the 8.1 beta back in July and just for outlook alone im glad I did. However, there are bugs on my machine, particularly with Bing News which keeps crashing. So I tried to "Refresh" windows to see if that would cure it as im sure these crashes didn't occur when I first installed. However, when I try it I get the following message "INSERT MEDIA - Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery media will have these files". Anyone else come across this? Is it just not possible to refresh the 8.1 beta version?

hotphil

I did the full wipe the other day (Outlook.com finally let me change my primary alias to one I wanted, but Surface kept displaying the "old" one and it was really bugging me). Had no issues, everything worked just fine.

OP
M

mdfire

I did the full wipe the other day (Outlook.com finally let me change my primary alias to one I wanted, but Surface kept displaying the "old" one and it was really bugging me). Had no issues, everything worked just fine.

Can I ask how long it took? Also did you have to set up all your accounts, install apps again?

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Omni

Can I ask how long it took? Also did you have to set up all your accounts, install apps again?

If your using a Microsoft Account all your accounts will be synced. You need to trust the computer first though I believe. Apps you will need to reinstall from the store, my apps screen.

OP
M

mdfire

If your using a Microsoft Account all your accounts will be synced. You need to trust the computer first though I believe. Apps you will need to reinstall from the store, my apps screen.

Thanks, sorry if I sound a bit dumb but what do you mean I have to trust the computer? Also when it restores is it to 8.1 with Outlook etc?

Omni

You will get a email asking you do you trust this computer you've just logged into. Security feature.

I'm not certain as I never installed the preview but would guess it does restore to 8.1 yes.

Last edited:

hotphil

I think I got an SMS advising I'd added the "new" device. All apps downloaded/arranged themselves on the homescreen as before (there's an option somewhere in PC Settings to back that config up to SkyDrive, so it must have just grabbed it all back from there). Some apps understandably needed me to log back in and I had to re-pair my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse but all in all the process was much less painful than I thought it would be.

jimkraz

I had the exact same problem when I tried to "refresh", asked to insert media, I placed my Windows 8 Pro disc in drive, that was not what it wanted, had to back out, though found my problem was iTunes 11.1 and not my PC, it is obvious that step was/is not available in preview at least, whether it will do refresh in final,?, or do I have to re-install windows 8 then update to windows 8.1, I don't know.