What's new

Solved Reinstall

Curtis Vaughan

So, this SP3 has a Linux OS on it. I want to install 8.1 or 10. I went to the download page for the Surface and entered it's SN and downloaded both packages for 8.1 and 10. However, neither will install. The W10 version seems the most promising as one option was to reinstall from the Cloud, which says it will wipe the disk and download the OS from the cloud. But it immediately goes back to the previous section. None of the other options work.

For this reason I just took a copy of 8.1. But it says, no you have to use the recovery installation.

So, it's like a Catch22. Any suggestions?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id say use the Media Creation Tool, Download it and run it to make an install USB then boot off of the USB. When you make the USB use the 64 bit only option and verify it.
When it starts go through the menu to Command Prompt and delete the partition then go back and do the install.

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

How do I "nuke" all the partitions? The Surface Recovery Utility (whatever it's called) doesn't offer such an option. Although, like I said, when trying to install from the cloud it does say it will erase all information on the drive in order to reinstall, but then does absolutely nothing. I suppose I could use some other utility to "nuke" the partitions.....

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

Nuked the drive. Let's see if this works....

I'm booting with SurfacePro3_BMR_10_7.102.0

Nope. So, regardless of whether I have TPM Enabled or not, but with Secure Boot enabled I get the following error:
"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc0000185..."
or the error code might be 0xc000000e

But any time Secure Boot is not enabled, then I get "Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in setup."

Last edited:

Metalman

This is what I use. It is how you go form Win 10 back to 8.1, but the steps are the same.
On step 11 if I remember right you us recover from a drive not reset.

1.First, download the Surface Pro 3 recovery media from Microsoft
2.Next, extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP file onto a USB drive that has been formatted with the FAT32 filesystem. You will need at least 16GB of on the drive.
3.With your Surface powered off, insert the USB drive.
4.Press and hold the Volume Down button, and then press and release the Power button. When the Surface logo appears, release the Volume Down button.
5.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
6.Type "diskpart" then press Enter
7.Type "select disk system" then press Enter. This action will select the drive that the operating system is loaded on. There's no turning back after this next step…
8.Type "clean" then press Enter. Your hard drive is now erased.
9.Type "exit" then press Enter
10.Turn off your Surface and power it on using the method in Step 4
11.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Reset your PC
12.Click Next
13.Click "Yes, repartition the drives."
14.Follow the prompts to begin the recovery process
15.If prompted, confirm that you want to clear the TPM (trusted Platform Module) by pressing F12

Your Surface will now boot up and finish the installation. You then will be directed to the initial device setup, starting with Region and Language settings.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I use. It is how you go form Win 10 back to 8.1, but the steps are the same.
On step 11 if I remember right you us recover from a drive not reset.

1.First, download the Surface Pro 3 recovery media from Microsoft
2.Next, extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP file onto a USB drive that has been formatted with the FAT32 filesystem. You will need at least 16GB of on the drive.
3.With your Surface powered off, insert the USB drive.
4.Press and hold the Volume Down button, and then press and release the Power button. When the Surface logo appears, release the Volume Down button.
5.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
6.Type "diskpart" then press Enter
7.Type "select disk system" then press Enter. This action will select the drive that the operating system is loaded on. There's no turning back after this next step…
8.Type "clean" then press Enter. Your hard drive is now erased.
9.Type "exit" then press Enter
10.Turn off your Surface and power it on using the method in Step 4
11.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Reset your PC
12.Click Next
13.Click "Yes, repartition the drives."
14.Follow the prompts to begin the recovery process
15.If prompted, confirm that you want to clear the TPM (trusted Platform Module) by pressing F12

Your Surface will now boot up and finish the installation. You then will be directed to the initial device setup, starting with Region and Language settings.
I agree with doing the Diskpart Clean, there's probably some nasty Linux stuff on the drive that needs to be cleaned.

This is pretty much the same process for doing a clean install with a Win 10 USB except you do an install after cleaning the drive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Uh.... what? Since Linux is on it now, it's using GRUB. Did I understand that question right?

GRUB is a bootloader, some use 3rd Party so needed to verify which one...you post below answered the other question

I'm booting with SurfacePro3_BMR_10_7.102.0

Nope. So, regardless of whether I have TPM Enabled or not, but with Secure Boot enabled I get the following error:
"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc0000185..."
or the error code might be 0xc000000e

But any time Secure Boot is not enabled, then I get "Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in setup."

You need to enter into UEFI and load the default keys for Secure Boot to work again (hoping they didn't delete the default keys)

Depending how your Linux partition is configured Windows may not be able to see them, you may need to boot from a Linux USB Install or use 3rd Party Boot tool to delete the partitions (do this before trying to turn Secure Boot back on).

OP
C

Curtis Vaughan

Ok, so in the UEFI I can install factory default keys. There are 2 options, for Windows only and for Windows and 3rd parties. But when I boot with these installed, I get the "Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup"

I responded OK and it reboots to the previously mentioned, "unexpected error" screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so in the UEFI I can install factory default keys. There are 2 options, for Windows only and for Windows and 3rd parties. But when I boot with these installed, I get the "Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup"

I responded OK and it reboots to the previously mentioned, "unexpected error" screen.
You need to blow away all of the Linux Partitions and GRUB prior to enabling Secure Boot again, then you should be able to enable Secure Boot and reinstall Windows.