What's new

Remapping pen buttons

omgnoseat

Has anyone managed to remap the buttons on the surface pro 3 pen?
To be specific, I mean the left click button and the erase button. Unfortunatly the application that I use daily ( unity3D) does not register any pen interaction.

I'm somewhat familiar with autohotkey, I'm currenly using keyboard keys to emulate mouse buttons (yes, it's horrible). I don't know how to retrieve the pen button ID's, so I can't map any actions to those.

Thanks.

BobG

This is something many of us are desperately hoping M$ will address soon. The only button I use at all is the right-click. I really want to remap the erase button to be "pretend the pen is a finger" so I don't have to juggle the pen in my hand when I just want to scroll a page a bit or something.

I can think of many uses for the purple button, but OneNote is *not* one of them! Mostly I'd like it to send a "PrintScreen" command so that (on my SP3) it would launch a SnagIt capture.

There is a utility I heard about on YouTube that can remap the purple button using a utility called EventGhost that apparently works OK, but when I downloaded that free utility it installed spamware on my machine, so out the door that went!

Bob

I recall people mentioning EventGhost for achieving this.
Here's a video demonstrating it:
Here's a video where the same person did a step by step tutorial:

* Member posted there was spamware with this, I have not used it myself but had a note about it when I read about it on the net. If you do install it I would check control panel - programs and then sort by date to see if extra stuff got installed, if it did then uninstall it.

Last edited:

kozak79

Microsoft is working on a control panel for the pen, like the wacom one for the SP2. Microsoft plans to release it in the September update. Hopefully they will stick to that, as of right now, the pen buttons are completely useless for artists.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully something is done. The ms employee I spoke with just gave a wink and a shrug to the question.

malberttoo

Microsoft is working on a control panel for the pen, like the wacom one for the SP2. Microsoft plans to release it in the September update. Hopefully they will stick to that, as of right now, the pen buttons are completely useless for artists.

This will indeed be a welcome utility!

bluegrass

I sometimes keep the pen in my shirt pocket in between uses. Has anyone had it drip any ink onto your shirt since the pointer isn't retractable?

malberttoo

I sometimes keep the pen in my shirt pocket in between uses. Has anyone had it drip any ink onto your shirt since the pointer isn't retractable?

Yes.

But when it happens I just press the bottom button a few times and the ink just disappears.

az1787

So, I have a problem with pen botton. If I press it one time, OneNote starts, but is a press it twice, the pen doesnt's do any screen capture. Why? I tried also to disintall the bluetooth pen and to reinstall is, but nothing :-/ The "twice botton action" doesn't work.