What's new

Remote Apps via Remote Destop

kfons

We serve out some remote apps via Remote Desktop Applications (Dynamics Nav, Excel, etc.), is RT capable of handling this in any way? Basically the user has an icon on their current laptop that fires up a remote desktop session with only the particular app running and can fire up say excel when the user exports a file in excel format from our ERP system (Dynamics NAV). It works great on the Samsung windows 8 Pro table I'm using but just curious if there would be any way to do this on a RT Surface.

graye

I've played with Remote Desktop to a Win7 machine... and it works just like you'd expect. However, I didn't have a server to configure a true virtualized application.

slugabug

Remote desktop to another Windows 8 machine works really well. With full gesture support, it's like you're using a Surface Pro! I haven't tried limiting to one app, however, so I can't speak to that...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The normal RDS Client is available (mstsc.exe) and it seems to have the same configurations, I don't have a full setup to test. I would guess that the Web Version of Remote Apps would not work due to needing ActiveX controls.

I do remote into my Windows 8 desktop to do anything that is not compatible with the RT device.

wilbur4321

We serve out some remote apps via Remote Desktop Applications (Dynamics Nav, Excel, etc.), is RT capable of handling this in any way? Basically the user has an icon on their current laptop that fires up a remote desktop session with only the particular app running and can fire up say excel when the user exports a file in excel format from our ERP system (Dynamics NAV). It works great on the Samsung windows 8 Pro table I'm using but just curious if there would be any way to do this on a RT Surface.

Yes, you absolutely can serve out remote applications, as well as entire remote desktops. When serving out a remote application, it will integrate very nicely with the desktop mode on the Surface, looking like a desktop app running locally (albeit with the network lag you would expect, which isn't bad on a good network).

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

wilbur4321

I should mention that you'll also get an icon for each remote app on your start screen. It's quite slick. I've not set it up, but we have the infra running at work, serving both Office 2010 and 2013 that way, as well as things like Firefox and some internal LOB apps.

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8