What's new

Remote Desktop App

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What router are you using? Is your router using 8080 as the public port and forwarding to 3389? Sorry we need more information.

bulls96

Its a Netgear I believe, its the modem and router in one from Charter.

port 8080 is under the Remote management menu. It says this is the address to this device.

I hope that helps.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

bulls96

heres a screenshot of the port forwarding part port forwarding.JPG

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Name: RDP | Start Port:3389 | End Port: 3389 | Protocol: TCP | Local IP Address: Is the one for your desktop that you want to RDP into.

bulls96

Thanks for that! I had no idea what it all was doing.

So now I go into the remote desktop on my surface, connect, then it asks me for "Remote Gateway Credentials" username and password, I enter "MACHINENAME\username and my password but it won't go through. I use the same live username shouldn't it be automatic?

And yes I have windows 8 pro on a touchsmart pc. And the Surface RT of course thanks a lot!

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with your router but that prompt is (guessing) is for your router, that is the "Remote Gateway".

HB_xxx

I really like the modern desktop app on the surface since I upgrade my desktop to windows 8. I could never get it to work with windows 7 despite lots of troubleshooting. once I upgraded it worked perfectly. could have just been lucky, but sure do enjoy it now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
so you mean it is trying to access the router and not my PC?

The assumption is that you're attempting to remote into your Desktop from outside your home network, are you attempting to access your desktop on your home network? If so all you need to do is put the IP address of your desktop without a port and it should connect without issue. All of my instructions were based on accessing from outside the home network and the prompt you're receiving appears to be coming from your router.

R0bR

It sounds like you have the correct configuration if you are being asked for credentials, your router is not going to respond to an RDP request. The issue now might be that local authentication is not going to know your LIVE credentials. I would create a new local account and add it for remote access, I would give it a strong password too.