Remote Desktop App

bulls96

still a no go using the router login.

also a no go for using another live account. :(
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You've enabled Remote Desktop on the Windows 8 machine, correct? Another option is to put the Desktop into your Router's DMZ and see if that works.

bulls96

I have tried another live account, a local account, router login, still cant go through :(

Bascoloco

A couple of things here bulls96. Just to verify, you have enabled remote desktop on your pc? You login locally to the pc with a username and password that is an administrator account or listed as an account having remote desktop access?

On your Surface, in the Remote Desktop app, open settings, go to Connection settings and clear any entry that you have under Remote Desktop Gateway. In the main "home screen" of the remote desktop app, enter the internet ip address of your home network (assuming you are not connected to the home network, if you are just enter the ip address of your computer). Then, login with your pc username and password (not your Surface log in).

bulls96

Thanks for the reply! :)

I just removed the :3389 on the PC address and it worked! :)

bulls96

In trying to search for solutions, I did find a remote desktop app named Teamviewer! :) its like a splashtop remote access type of app.

MSurfaceWA

I second bulls96 - Teamviewer is free and works great on the Surface. They even recently made changes that allow it to run in the background when you are using other apps. For a free app, its excellent and has strong security.

Bascoloco

Interesting that you had to remove the port. It's superfluous since it's the default but I wouldn't have thought it would cause connection failure. Thanks for the update and glad you made it work :)

R0bR

Interesting that you had to remove the port. It's superfluous since it's the default but I wouldn't have thought it would cause connection failure. Thanks for the update and glad you made it work :)

It would cause a connection failure. Using the Remote Desktop client it will add the port for you while connecting, so if you add it you will get :3389:3389 when making a connection and it will fail.

OP
ARosch

ARosch

Okay I am having troubles getting remote desktop to work for me, so perhaps someone can help.

Here is where I stand:
I am using a windows 7 professional desktop as the host. I have enabled remote access, "Allow connections from computers using any version of remote desktop."
Let's say the IP Address for the host computer is 22.324.1.111 and the router IP address that I use to connect to it is 192.168.2.1 (a belkin wireless router)
If I want to connect from another computer/surface I would just enter 22.324.1.111 in the computer area and hit connect? I am currently on the same network as the host and the error message I get is "Remote desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:" and then it gives the following reasons "Remote access to the server is not enabled; the remote computer is turned off; the remote computer is not available on the network."
When I go to the router settings there is not a port forwarding section, it is instead called virtual servers and this is what it looks like.

2lashll.png

So from this picture, it would appear that the port is 2626. When I try connecting via 22.234.1.111:2626 I get the same error message. I also tried connecting via 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.1:2626 both giving that same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know what I should try next?