What's new

Remote Desktop App

Br1an_g

The connection string should look something like the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:port Number, so if your external IP was 111.111.111.111 and you were using the default RDP port of 3389, your connection string that you enter into the RDP client would 111.111.111.111:3389 that should get you to your remote host.
still no luck im afraid. just isnt finding the home laptop. even tried it with both on my home LAN using internal IP's still no connection happening. will have another play with it tonight when i get home.

mrasmussen

You have to make sure you allow remote desktop from your home PC. If you go into remote settings, select Allow Remote Desktop from any version of the client. You may get a warning, but it's okay. I believe that adds a rule in the windows firewall, but you might want to disable the firewall on your home PC if the above doesn't work. So, first allow remote desktop (off by default), if that doesn't work, try disabling the firewall, but it would be nice if you could get things to work without disabling the firewall, or add a rule to the firewall to allow RDP.

Br1an_g

You have to make sure you allow remote desktop from your home PC. If you go into remote settings, select Allow Remote Desktop from any version of the client. You may get a warning, but it's okay. I believe that adds a rule in the windows firewall, but you might want to disable the firewall on your home PC if the above doesn't work. So, first allow remote desktop (off by default), if that doesn't work, try disabling the firewall, but it would be nice if you could get things to work without disabling the firewall, or add a rule to the firewall to allow RDP.

remote assistance is enabled, and i checked the firewall and there is a rule enabled in there for Remote Assistance.

mrasmussen

not remote assistance, remote desktop, it's different. What version of windows are you running? I believe some versions, Win 7 home for example, don't have remote desktop.

Br1an_g

not remote assistance, remote desktop, it's different. What version of windows are you running? I believe some versions, Win 7 home for example, don't have remote desktop.

and there we have it, I am running w7 on the home laptop. good excuse for an upgrade I suppose :)

Br1an_g

laptop upgraded to w8 and remote desktop is a go. thanks for all the help, going to be extra useful for some of my work stuff. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of the Microsoft employees are receiving their Surface RT devices this week, so I've been showing them how I use RDP from my Surface to do all of the real work while getting all day battery life (I'm a vender who works for Microsoft).

bulls96

so can we get to our desktop from outside our homes using the remote desktop settings as described above? (port forwarding etc)
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the Desktop OS supports being a RDP Host (Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise) and you configure everything correctly, yes you can. My desktop is at my office and I have a VPN Server configured to support my RDP needs....

bulls96

Please help...
So I got to enter the remote desktop gateway server, but my router says it uses http://xx.xx.xxx.xx.8080 instead of 3389 to access this device. I am confused.

I go to Port ForwRarding and it asks for what "Service" and Custom Rules oincluding start port end port... How do I make it port forward 3389?

Also what username and password do I enter on my Surface when the remote desktop app asks for RD Gateway Server Credentials? Tried "computername\username" and my password and it wont work.

BTW I have Windows 8 Pro and trying to setup remote desktop with my Surface RT.

THanks!

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Last edited: