What's new

Remote Desktop on Surface 2

rpenn

Hello, I am new to the Surface 2. I am trying to implement them in my office. Our outside sales reps currently use very old laptops we're looking to replace. Currently they only use the laptops to RDP into our terminal servers. We felt the Surface would be a good solution.

I have successfully connected to my server from the Surface 2 and everything seems to work as expected. However, what I cannot do is change the screen resolution. The default setting within the Surface is much too high making common applications like Outlook very difficult to use.

So I guess I have a few questions. Is there any way to set/change the screen resolution for JUST a specific app on the Surface 2? Is this something that needs to be done on the terminal server I am remoting to?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using for your VDI Environment? If it is Server 2012 R2 you have some solutions if it is a legacy platform it will prove more difficult.

RDS with 8.1/RT and Server 2012 R2:
Resolution and Scaling Level Updates in RDP 8.1 - Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

For server 2008 R2 there seems to be a Hotfix for the issue:
You cannot change the DPI setting through a Remote Desktop session on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

OP
R

rpenn

Thanks, Jeff. We run 2008 R2 Terminal Server. I'll check out the hotfix. I have been also playing with the resolution settings on the Surface 2 itself as well. I just need to make sure everything else works with a lower resolution.

ctitanic

I prefer the Modern UI one myself, I find Server 2012 R2 quite touch friendly....
The problem is that when I use the metro version I have issues with the right click. I tested the desktop version yesterday and that doesn't happen. So it's another tool in my box.

I have been using also Mocha VNC. It works very well.