What's new

Remote Desktop Problems + a Plex Question

Dudeguyy

Hello everyone... very new to the whole Surface family. Just scored a Surface RT less than a week ago and still trying to figure some of the functionality out. I was wondering if you could help me work through these issues.

First of all, I'm having issues connecting to my home desktop remotely. I've downloaded the app and try to connect to my home PC. I went through and ensured that the name of the desktop was right (renamed it) and tried entering that name on my Surface... couldn't connect. Also tried looking up the IP and entering that on the Surface... still no dice. Any idea what the hangup is?

Also, trying to use Plex to consolidate all my media. I cannot, however, connect myPlex to my server online. Will this affect my ability to download my media when I'm out and about on another computer or on my tablet?

I can help provide any info you may need to help me out here. I'm wondering if the myPlex issue is due to me being on a college Wifi network... our dorms are all supplied the same network via a ton of commercial grade routers. Could some weird firewall settings or router issues be the cause of any of the problems?

Thanks a ton if you have any ideas!

Last edited:

EMINENT

Are you using the 32400 port in the myplex settings for your server?

I have that port forwarded and it works.

daniielrp

Are you using the 32400 port in the myplex settings for your server?

I have that port forwarded and it works.

Same, I have port forwarding to my iMac where all the media is stored using port 32400 and works fine when out and about for myplex. However doing this requires access to the router and a Static IP for the host PC. OP do you have any way to access the router with it being a shared dorm one?

And for remote desktop, you said you downloaded "the app" - Which one lol?

OP
D

Dudeguyy

I do have port 32400 forwarded. Under myPlex advanced options, it is automatically filled in. Still can't connect though. Will have access to router as its in my roommates room but it may be locked so I'm not sure how much ill be able to tinker with it. What'd you think would help? If I can assign a Static IP somehow I will...

The app I'm trying to use is just MS's Remote Desktop.

daniielrp

I do have port 32400 forwarded. Under myPlex advanced options, it is automatically filled in. Still can't connect though.

That's not forwarded, that's just you choosing a port - forwarding has to be done on the actual router itself.

Will have access to router as its in my roommates room but it may be locked so I'm not sure how much ill be able to tinker with it. What'd you think would help? If I can assign a Static IP somehow I will...

The app I'm trying to use is just MS's Remote Desktop.

If you cannot access the router, it will be tricky and may never work properly unfortunately.

As for the remote desktop, do you get any kind of error message or code?

OP
D

Dudeguyy

Will double check when ingest home @ around 11:30, but I believe it told me "cannot find (my PC name)-- please check PC name and domain are correct and try again."

Can you describe the steps involved in port forwarding for me? Many thanks.

daniielrp

Can you describe the steps involved in port forwarding for me? Many thanks.

It can vary widely depending on the make/model etc. But f you can get that there are generally guides for just about every one on Google.

But in essence you want this:

Capture.PNG

The IP address is my iMac where my Plex media sever is. I use a range of ports to make sure 32400 is included.

prcdslnc13

When I first set up my plex server I was basically in the same place as you "what is port forwarding". I found this site Router Port Forwarding Guides - PortForward.com Its a fantastic resource for figuring this stuff out and will give you step by step instructions based on your router and end goal. Plex is a fantastic service but requires you to have some knowledge and do some work. Its actually a great project to start learning about networking with a good end goal. Good luck!