What's new

Remote Desktop Slow When Not Plugged In

Ph33zy

Is this due to CPU being throttled or WiFi being throttled when not plugged in? I first thought it was WiFi throttling, but I'm currently using the SP3 at my parent's house where they only have a 2Mbps DSL connection and RDP is fine when plugged in.

At home I have a 25Mbps connection and the RDP is really choppy/slow for simple desktop browsing and sending email when not plugged in.

It seems like MSFT throttles the CPU down to the point where I can't use RDP. Anyone have similar results? My 5 year old Dell laptop handles RDP better than this device which is sad.

double07

As much as I like SP3, I decided to return mine today which was second unit. WiFi issue and cpu throttling due to heat just don't cut it for me. Seeing the same issue with RDP here. You will have to do few workaround to make it workable. I am going back to my SP1 for now. I will wait till they work out the essential kinks in SP3. I will then give it another look. I expected more for product with this price point of $1500 w/ kb. I am sure many people here won't agree with me, but that is ok.

kevinlevrone

It's probably the Wi-Fi issue that is plaguing the SP3.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft insists of using Marvell chips for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when Intel offer a much stable and better chip, with much better drivers. My SP2 starts without Bluetooth once every 3 starts because the Marvell driver hangs.

BaritoneGuy

It's probably the Wi-Fi issue that is plaguing the SP3.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft insists of using Marvell chips for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when Intel offer a much stable and better chip, with much better drivers. My SP2 starts without Bluetooth once every 3 starts because the Marvell driver hangs.

Intel's latest 7260 series are plagued with issues as well. For now just downgrade the drivers to the previous version and the device should work fine.

puma

This is becoming an issue for me since I live in remote desktop. I hope they come out with a fix for this.

Klownicle

Even tho you revert, I believe you still need to put the WiFi device into its High Performance mode. Although 95% of the time, I'm fine now, I still have an occasionally hiccup, which I imagine will be resolved with a future update. This is all related to the terrible power management this device has.

Administrative Command Prompt;
powercfg -setdcvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 000

Change the last 3 to 002 to revert the setting. Be sure your running the older 4/16 (I believe that's the date, tho its purely off the cuff.), elsewise when you remove your WiFi driver, make sure you choose "Remove Driver Software" checkbox as well. The above command must be run after any driver installation/reset. As the WiFi properties are reset when these actions are done. Also keep in mind, that Windows Update will force the new driver down your throat again. So you may need to do it again later.

I was on 300mbps around my house without issue. But before this was done it was 6.5mbps.

bluegrass

I have and unless I am doing it wrong, i am getting likr 6.5 mbps connections to the wifi.

Did I miss what a good broadband speed is somewhere along the way. I have ATT DSL at their highest speed which is 6 mbits. I keep seeing people talking about that being slow and some having upwards of 60 mbits. I don't know what kind of broadband service people or getting these days but I feel like I'm behind the times with my normal speed test giving me about 4 mbits download. I thought I was happy but I'm beginning to think I shouldn't be.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did I miss what a good broadband speed is somewhere along the way. I have ATT DSL at their highest speed which is 6 mbits. I keep seeing people talking about that being slow and some having upwards of 60 mbits. I don't know what kind of broadband service people or getting these days but I feel like I'm behind the times with my normal speed test giving me about 4 mbits download. I thought I was happy but I'm beginning to think I shouldn't be.

I pay just under $70/month for 50 Mbps Down and 8 Mbps Up and consistently get 56-60 Mbps Down and 11 Mbps Up.....