What's new

Repeating BSOD: Critical Process Died

Surface Pro i7 on Win 10. After a recent update I keep getting a BSOD with the message "Critical Process Died". Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 reboots for the system to be usable. It just keeps crashing over and over. Before the BSOD occurs when I look at the task manager I see that "Service host Local service" is using 99% of memory and 100% of the disk but the CPU is hardly being used. Each cycle of crashing takes about 5 min, wherein the computer is hissing like an angry snake. It takes roughly 20-30 min for computer to stop crashing and become usable.

I REALLY don't want to reinstall everything that takes a good week to get everything back to normal and takes me a good day to reinstall everything. Personally I have better things to do on a Saturday then nursemaid my computer. What steps should I take from here to fix?

Attachments

• bsod.gif
    bsod.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,147

leeshor

If it won't stay running bring it up in safe mode and wait, wait wait the bring it up in protected mode again and wait some more. It seems it's trying to complete something that's either being interrupted or just can't seem to get completed. You may also want to try a chkdsk /f

OP
J

Jason Cliche

Thanks for the advice, but tried and it didn't work. After a lot of computer sleuthing I finally figured out it was the DPS (Diagnostic Policy Service) that was causing the problem. In safe mode I disabled it. Whenever I re-enable it my system gets angry again. While it's not a critical service, I may need it again someday. I'd like to know why its behaving badly.

Grumpy2

Surface Pro i7 on Win 10. After a recent update I keep getting a BSOD with the message "Critical Process Died". Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 reboots for the system to be usable. It just keeps crashing over and over. Before the BSOD occurs when I look at the task manager I see that "Service host Local service" is using 99% of memory and 100% of the disk but the CPU is hardly being used. Each cycle of crashing takes about 5 min, wherein the computer is hissing like an angry snake. It takes roughly 20-30 min for computer to stop crashing and become usable.

I REALLY don't want to reinstall everything that takes a good week to get everything back to normal and takes me a good day to reinstall everything. Personally I have better things to do on a Saturday then nursemaid my computer. What steps should I take from here to fix?
One thing about Windows from Win 95 right thru to Win 10 is that Windows is a great time waster. I seem to spend more time fixing problems than using my Windows devices. It has gotten to the stage where I am going to give Microsoft the flick. I just do not have the time, expertise or patience to bother with Msft any more. I have family members who tell me that Apple products are far much better and easier to use. I will certainly start exploring their products and services. I have been using Windows computers since Win 95 and Windows Mobile devices since Win CE Handheld Devices in 1997. But now it looks like I will be looking at going to Apple. Unfortunately the people at Microsoft are not to smart as they just do not learn from there past mistakes. I also am not happy at Microsoft forcing updates on computers without the consumer being aware this is happening. Who the hell do the people at Microsoft think they are. This could also possibly be in contravention of consumer laws in some countries. My computer is my device and I should be the only person who determines what gets installed on my computer. NOT MICROSOFT. This is the last straw for me. I think it is about time the people at Msft woke up to themselves. Although I do not think the people at Msft are that smart to tell you the truth. I think it is time for the CEO to go and someone needs to go through the company with a broom and clean the place out. And then get some staff who know what they are doing. Perhaps employ some Ex Apple (or current) employees. But most of the current ones need showing the door (and that includes the current CEO) imho.

aptsp3

Thank God I'm not the only one.

After almost every update, I go through this. I even did a full format and reinstalled win 10 fresh. Still happens after a reboot once a cumulative update is applied.

The service host local service not only pushes the cpu to the max, but keeps taking more and more ram. When it reaches above 5GB, the whole thing crashes with a blue screen.

I have an SP3, i5, 256GB

EDIT: Thanks Jason, I disabled the diagnostic policy service and the problem went away. I hope I don't need that service

Last edited: