What's new

Replacement digitizer/screen warnings

DOTTAT

I recently had the misfortune of taking my surface pro on a flying lesson.. No really it jumped from the bag and landed on the driveway hard. Digitizer shattered into a million pieces. LCD broken during removal of said digitizer.

My surface pro is model 1514. Says so on the back.

It seems most of the replacements you get off of ebay state they are for the 1514 but are actually not. On our model, the ambient light sensor is to the right of the camera. On the ones I keep getting sent to me its on the left. The chinese folks selling them have all but called me a liar and an idiot even though i have shown them the following pictures.

Be warned if you are seeking replacement glass!

ebaylisting.JPG
IMAG3079.jpg

hnlongfingaz

I recently had the misfortune of taking my surface pro on a flying lesson.. No really it jumped from the bag and landed on the driveway hard. Digitizer shattered into a million pieces. LCD broken during removal of said digitizer.

My surface pro is model 1514. Says so on the back.

It seems most of the replacements you get off of ebay state they are for the 1514 but are actually not. On our model, the ambient light sensor is to the right of the camera. On the ones I keep getting sent to me its on the left. The chinese folks selling them have all but called me a liar and an idiot even though i have shown them the following pictures.

Be warned if you are seeking replacement glass!

View attachment 6354 View attachment 6355

Dude, just went through the same thing... The digitizier and LCD assembly work, but the ambient light sensor hole is on the left, not the right of the camera. No big but still annoying... To top it off.. the LCD is not properly attached to the glass so the bottom of the lcd has shadowing.. Had to argue for 7 emails to get them to send another one... and they kept saying "have a professional install" I'm like D**K I am a professional.. (except in my typing of this post). Either way, CHina.. whatcha gonna do.. take what you can cause MS wants 450$ to fix this..

OP
D

DOTTAT

Dude, just went through the same thing... The digitizier and LCD assembly work, but the ambient light sensor hole is on the left, not the right of the camera. No big but still annoying... To top it off.. the LCD is not properly attached to the glass so the bottom of the lcd has shadowing.. Had to argue for 7 emails to get them to send another one... and they kept saying "have a professional install" I'm like D**K I am a professional.. (except in my typing of this post). Either way, CHina.. whatcha gonna do.. take what you can cause MS wants 450$ to fix this..
Yep. Four sellers later I gave up. It's a shame because the Chinese are so ignorant you can show them pictures and video of your tablet and their glass and they still argue with you like you are stupid.

Edit..

I should add since this item doesn't match the description eBay will give you your money back. Since it's not the correct item the seller is responsible for shipping the item back. Never agree to be reimbursed for return shipping by them. Always insist they provide the label. If they don't, you get to keep the item and it's a good sign you were about to be screwed.

Last edited:

hnlongfingaz

image1 (1).JPG

In the end, they offered me to send back for full refund which would cost me $20 shipping, or I can send them $35 and they will send me another assembly and I keep the one pictured above. I opted for this as I can live with the shadowing if necessary and can try and use some acetone / pant thinner to make my own ambient light sensor with a circle cut out of some card board as a template.

I guess in the end for me, its not a big deal because I have the surface from work for free since the boss smashed it and insisted on getting a new one right away to which I asked, Can I have this one? :)

So my investment is only in the parts and time... but for all the rest of the folks buyer beware you are not getting the 100% fit repair part, its a Hodgepodge of surface 1 digitizers glued to surface 2 LCDs

Last edited: