What's new

Replacement Surface Pro 2 (Warranty)

dennymet

I just did an advanced replacement of my Surface Pro 2 due to firmware issues.

Microsoft was pretty quick on sending the replacement. Coordinating the delivery (signature required) with FedEx was a whole different story. After three failed delivery attempts, I had FedEx hold the shipment for me and picked it up at one of their facilities (25 miles away). I finally got my replacement device and took a look at it when I got back to my car—as you can imagine, I was pretty excited. A few minor scratches here and there but nothing unacceptable. I was told I was going to get a new device, but clearly that was not the case. I tried to turn the device on but the battery was dead. I put the device back in it's packaging and went on my merry way.

When I got home, I plugged the device in and let it charge. When I turned it on, to my amazement, I was greeted with this:

surfacelogin.png

Apparently the device I received was one that another person returned (obviously, as like I said, the replacement was clearly refurbished).

Here are my initial thoughts...

1. Microsoft is supposed to be wiping these devices—clearly this is not the case, or at least not the case with this particular one.
2. How is a "general user" supposed to even "make this device their own" without defeating security mechanisms?
3. Is Microsoft just playing "round robin" with our returned devices? Are they even fixing anything, are they even checking the returned tablets?

So in the end, I'm stuck with a locked out replacement device.

I'm tempted to contact the previous owner—am I ethically obligated to? I know I would want to be contacted if this happened to me. I planned to completely wipe my device myself before sending it back to Microsoft, and told their support that when I initiated the warranty exchange, to which they responded with "you don't have to, we're supposed to take care of that."

Obviously, I am not impressed. How should I proceed?

revmike

Contact Microsoft tell them what you have and send it back and demand a new, not a refurbished device.

benjitek

Contact Microsoft tell them what you have and send it back and demand a new, not a refurbished device.
That only happens if your incident is classified as 'tier-3'. I'd just request this when calling in, state receiving a non-formatted replacement when you were promised a new one is not acceptable, and you'd like tier-3 support. Not sure where they came up with that name, but same applies for xBox related issues as well -- same department.

OP
D

dennymet

That only happens if your incident is classified as 'tier-3'. I'd just request this when calling in, state receiving a non-formatted replacement when you were promised a new one is not acceptable, and you'd like tier-3 support. Not sure where they came up with that name, but same applies for xBox related issues as well -- same department.

I just got done talking to Microsoft.

They will not give any assurances that my next replacement device will be new.

The case is being elevated to Tier-3, but I have to send back the non-functional replacement first. There is also no statement being made about how a non-formatted devices was reissued except that it shouldn't have happened.

Thanks for your help.

This whole situation simply leaves me feeling very cold.

As I stated in my closing remarks to Microsoft support, "I'm still right back where I started when I first contacted Microsoft support. If I didn't request an advanced replacement and authorize a hold on my credit card, I would be in an even worse position of not having any functional device this entire time. I wish I could be contacted by someone higher up in the organization to give me assurances that something will be done so that this doesn't happen again. Regardless of my own situation, I feel morally obligated to contact the previous owner of the refurbished device and let him know that this happened. I would have wanted to be contacted if this happened to me. As customers, we trust you..."

MickeyLittle

Absolutely contact the person as this is not acceptable. Microsoft dropped the ball and should have to account for that if the other party so chooses to discuss that with them. Sure we should have enough common sense to wipe the device ourselves before sending it to Microsoft but there are times when the device may be locked up and it could be possible that there was no way to wipe the device whatever...

The point still remains that Microsoft or any computer company has an obligation to its customers to may sure that this does not happen, EVER... Period!

tarrant64

This makes me glad units that i've returned due to defects I was able to wipe myself first. I can't believe they wouldn't have a process (they honestly probably do) in place to just wipe these things no matter what upon receipt. Somebody was probably snooping around data on the returned device, got an order to ship one out to someone, then forgot to wipe it before putting it back in a box. It is a crazy world we live in though for sure.

OP
D

dennymet

Update:

I have since been contacted by a member of the Microsoft Surface Care Team asking that I send back the replacement device so that they can close out that exchange and initiate a new one.

They continue to state that it is not possible to send me a new device. While the member I talked to agreed that what had happened was "unacceptable", a new exchange cannot be set up until the previous one was closed out, meaning that this process may take a "couple of weeks."

I tried to politely appeal but continued to get the carefully worded response, "I do apologize to you for the inconvenience and any frustration that this has caused and I will work to get you an acceptable device."

Ironically, I had actually sent back the replacement device a day prior to being contacted by this Microsoft employee.

As far as the reasons for requiring a new replacement, there was initially no mention of the device being errantly reissued with customer data. When I was contacted by the Surface Care Team member, the device was cited as simply being scratched. In my response, I pressed for assurances on this being rectified as well as knowing that this won't happen again to another customer and the response I got was, "I am also concerned about the issue at hand. All the devices used for replacement should be completely refurbished and you should have been sent a like new device free of defects and like I stated before I have made my team aware of this issue."

Disappointing...

Last edited:

benjitek

...Disappointing...
Their entry into the whole devices arena is overall disappointing. The didn't think through the customer service aspect of things -- both the purchase and support experience have been very disappointing. It's a shame, as the hardware has promise -- but that's only about half of the customer experience. Microsoft sure ain't Apple :-(

tarrant64

Their entry into the whole devices arena is overall disappointing. The didn't think through the customer service aspect of things -- both the purchase and support experience have been very disappointing. It's a shame, as the hardware has promise -- but that's only about half of the customer experience. Microsoft sure ain't Apple :-(

I'm in the same boat as the OP with customer care, but just know test apple can be far, far worse. :). I received a defective refurb for warranty exchange and had to wait 3 days to be told to send it back and wait 2 weeks to try the whole process again. By the time this is wrapped up a 2-3 day process is extended into almost 3 weeks.

jamesk

Same problem here. I posted in other topics that I received an advance exchange with a bulge in the center of the kick stand hindge. I was assured this was a one time event that was probably overlooked. I waited for my advance exchange to be closed out and a another replacement was shipped. The advance exchange arrived the exact same issue, the bulge is actually a little worse! I shipped it back and I'm currently waiting for this one to close. I tried exchanging it at my local MS store but they are sold out and have no idea when they will get more. This is just ridiculous. MS needs to really step up their quality control and have more units in stock.

Last edited:

tarrant64

Same problem here. I posted in other topics that I received an advance exchange with a bulge in the center of the kick stand hindge. I was assured this was a one time event that was probably overlooked. I waited for my advance exchange to be closed out and a another replacement was shipped. The advance exchange arrived the exact same issue, the bulge is actually a little worse! I shipped it back and I'm currently waiting for this one to close. I tried exchanging it at my local MS store but they are sold out and have no idea when they will get more. This is just ridiculous. MS needs to really step up their quality control and have more units in stock.

What's funny about the whole "units in stock" thing. They had so many they were just downright giving away for awhile - and so many units that they wrote off...I can't believe all of the sudden they're just out of stock. It's like once the price fell to the right point everyone just bought the rest of the stock. I doubt MS will make my day, but I'm asking them to tell me what the difference would be just to send me a brand new Surface Pro 2 - it's almost worth it not playing games back and forth for weeks. The hold they put on the CC is $909 which is a brand new Surface Pro 2(64GB which is what I have) - if they are going to put a hold on a CC for that much they should just send you the latest greatest version. I know that's not how it works, but I'm just saying the hold should be the current value ($499-$599, whatever it is).

CreativeLemming

The hold they put on the CC is $909 which is a brand new Surface Pro 2(64GB which is what I have) - if they are going to put a hold on a CC for that much they should just send you the latest greatest version. I know that's not how it works, but I'm just saying the hold should be the current value ($499-$599, whatever it is).

When I did my warranty replacement (which went very well, and only took 2 days to arrive), the hold they put on for my SP2 that cost £1439.00 GBP (about $2460 USD, yes we're ripped off here in the UK!) was only for about £650.00 or thereabouts, nowhere near the retail price. I believe I god a refurb, but doesn't account for the difference.