What's new

Replacement Units?

kneehawk

has anyone received a replacement unit from MS recently?

Just curious if the replacement unit was a refurbished unit or a brand new one.
I'm assuming its the former, but I just wanted to confirm.

Garfield

has anyone received a replacement unit from MS recently?

Just curious if the replacement unit was a refurbished unit or a brand new one.
I'm assuming its the former, but I just wanted to confirm.

I got a brand new one replacement unit a few months ago.
Good luck,
Robert.

CrippsCorner

In all honesty I couldn't tell... so I guess it doesn't matter! There was the tiniest mark on it but I pretty much just rubbed it away lol. Not everyone's been so lucky though...

F27

I was told they are refurbished which means the case is new (which is why people believe they are new) but the innards are old and used... which sucks.

jeffskent

I bought a refurbished Surface RT on ebay and I think it was never used before, even though it had "refurbished" stamped on the back. I believe it would be almost impossible to take a new case and replace the inner parts into the new case. Too much adhesive, tiny screws and such to make this feasible or cost effective. I've bought more than 100 SanDisk mp3 players and they were all returns which were tested and packaged with new head phones and cables and sold for $10 to $30 on ebay and other such sites. I think lots of returns get refurbished and re sold quickly with merely a function check.

F27

When you say refurished STAMPED on the back to you mean permanelty marked onto the unit? :shocked:

If its so easy to fix them without opening them then why don't they give the customer that ability to fix the unit in the first place!

I believe they send them back to the factory in China where they can as easily disassemble them as they can assemble them.

Zkyevolved

I spoke with a rep the other day and they told me that they're all refurbished, but made to a "like new" condition. I am reluctant to send my device back because I take care of my stuff and who knows if the others do. I don't know. Just the idea of trading my perfect condition device for one that someone else returned for some fault. I don't know... regardless, to sum up. It's refurbished ....

F27

I spoke with a rep the other day and they told me that they're all refurbished, but made to a "like new" condition. I am reluctant to send my device back because I take care of my stuff and who knows if the others do. I don't know. Just the idea of trading my perfect condition device for one that someone else returned for some fault. I don't know... regardless, to sum up. It's refurbished ....

I feel the same. The one you get might have been used in an office and totally abused 24/7 whereas everything I own is kept in mint condition.

jrioux

Just the idea of trading my perfect condition device for one that someone else returned for some fault. I don't know... regardless, to sum up. It's refurbished ....

If your Surface is in "perfect condition," then why return it? Obviously, it's not in perfect condition, that's why.

Last edited:

Striknine

The One I received was brand new. I took mine into the Microsoft store and they gave me a new one that was priced as new inside the box with new charger, pen, etc. They didn’t give me the charger and pen though. The unit didn’t have a scratch on it.
It also came with 8.1 installed with an updated video driver

F27

The One I received was brand new. I took mine into the Microsoft store and they gave me a new one that was priced as new inside the box with new charger, pen, etc. They didn’t give me the charger and pen though. The unit didn’t have a scratch on it.
It also came with 8.1 installed with an updated video driver

Your lucky you have physical Microsoft stores, in coutries without them you WILL get a used one.