What's new

Replacing battery in Surface Pro 2017?

I bought the Surface Pro 2017 new and about 5 months in, the battery capacity was about 88%. This was determined by the Microsoft Store employee when running the BatteryInfoViewer software, and offered to swap for a refurb, which I didn't want. Now a year later I'm running the BatteryInfoViewer and seeing 52% life on the battery (meaning it only charges to 52% capacity and that's as much as I get).

Since Microsoft doesn't do repairs on Surface products, is there a recommendation to go to a computer shop and have them replace the battery? Or is it an "easy" task for a competent DIY-er?

Thank you

Wevenhuis

There are DIY and ifixit videos on YouTube. Generally repairability and relaceability of surface pro battery is low and high risk for DIY.

Before going on the DIY or repair road, have you tried recalibrating your battery life monitor. If the surface pro is used in a particular way, the battery monitor could show a biased battery life. I believe windows central has an article on this.

I am curious to hear your experience if you plan to replace your battery.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Thanks for the info, I can look into the DIY route and going to a repair shop and will update this thread when I have more info.

joeblow7777

I bought the Surface Pro 2017 new and about 5 months in, the battery capacity was about 88%. This was determined by the Microsoft Store employee when running the BatteryInfoViewer software, and offered to swap for a refurb, which I didn't want. Now a year later I'm running the BatteryInfoViewer and seeing 52% life on the battery (meaning it only charges to 52% capacity and that's as much as I get).

Since Microsoft doesn't do repairs on Surface products, is there a recommendation to go to a computer shop and have them replace the battery? Or is it an "easy" task for a competent DIY-er?

Thank you

Microsoft doesn't do repairs on Surface products? Then why did I just pay for 2 years of coverage, including part failure and accidents?

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Microsoft doesn't do repairs on Surface products? Then why did I just pay for 2 years of coverage, including part failure and accidents?

You essentially got an extended warranty. If anything happens, they'll just replace your computer with a refurbished one. They offered me to replace mine with a refurb when I was still under warranty and had battery issues.

joeblow7777

You essentially got an extended warranty. If anything happens, they'll just replace your computer with a refurbished one. They offered me to replace mine with a refurb when I was still under warranty and had battery issues.

But if they don't do repairs, are the refurbished units just straight up returned products? I mean, when Apple does refurbs, I know that they actually replace a lot of the parts such as batteries and I think even the back panels on iPads, so many of the parts are actually new.

It also says on the box of my Surface Laptop 2 that the battery can be replaced by an approved vendor, or something to that effect. I would assume that if that's not MS themselves they would at least send it to the right people for you.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

But if they don't do repairs, are the refurbished units just straight up returned products? I mean, when Apple does refurbs, I know that they actually replace a lot of the parts such as batteries and I think even the back panels on iPads, so many of the parts are actually new.

I know, it doesn't make sense. I asked the person the same thing... "well what do they do with my old computer? And what was refurbished about the one you're giving me?" I didn't get a good answer, he didn't know.

It also says on the box of my Surface Laptop 2 that the battery can be replaced by an approved vendor, or something to that effect. I would assume that if that's not MS themselves they would at least send it to the right people for you.

I wish I got the Surface Laptop instead of the tablet. I don't use the tablet feature at all and it's a little annoying when closing or carrying the tablet and keyboard.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
By "don't do repairs" they mean they will not repair your unit and return it to you so you'll always get a replacement regardless of what the issue is. these devices are then sent somewhere where they are repaired and then redistributed to the supply chain for the next poor soul.

Cellphone repair does Surface Battery replacements
Microsoft Surface Repair Services: Cracked Screen Repair & More | CellPhoneRepair.com

Although IDK of anyone that has used and reported back what their experience was like or the cost.

Last edited: