What's new

Report: Majority of Windows 8 Users Ignore Metro / Modern UI Applications

mitchellvii

Report: Majority of Windows 8 Users Ignore Metro / Modern UI Applications

As my doctor said after discovering a serious infection following my surgery - "Well there's your problem..."

As big a fan as MS is of spying on what users are doing, they can't have missed this one and is probably a BIG reason for the Windows 8.1 revamp. To be honest, I find it surprising because even though I am not a huge fan of Modern UI (why are people still calling it "Metro"?) I visit Modern UI apps A LOT more often than just a few times a day. That is probably because I enjoy News Bento and Netflix. I also use the Mail app quite a bit.

So, interesting and worth a read.

Windows 8 users are largely ignoring Metro / Modern UI applications in favor of the conventional Windows desktop...

...the study indicated that on average, Windows 8 users will launch a Metro application just 1.52 times per day with 60 percent of desktop and laptop users launching an average of less than one Metro app per day. This figure is only marginally increased for tablet users who on average launch 2.71 Metro apps per day and 44 percent who average less than one Metro app per day.

I find it especially surprising that tablet users are not using Modern UI apps more since they have touch. I guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Last edited:

tonyz3

yep - some of these stories are crap. But i use metro/modern apps all day while working on the DT. I usually have Twitter and tweetro + running all day and switch b/w both, news bento, i prefer modern IE app to the DT and a few others. Honestly i would not need the DT if office apps were modern. I do use a plug in for Office for my email mktg- so if they do make that switch i hope we can still use the plugins. Lastly i do prefer the DT skype - which i use all day everyday when working. Only for the integration to office.

TeknoBlast

Same here. I’ve been using the MUI only since I installed Windows 8. Like everyone else that uses Office, that’s the only reason why I use desktop mode…well the other reason because I have RDP into my work computer. But even when I use RDP, I have RDP on one screen, usually the right screen, and the left screen I use MUI apps

It works great when having duel monitors. On my left screen, I have Twitter snapped with IE taking up the rest of the screen. The right screen is dedicated to desktop mode which I have RDP running.

Omni

I don't find that very surprising. Millions of desktop apps compared to 75,000 Modern UI ones....

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Like you guys I use Modern UI apps a lot more than this study implies. But we are "enthusiasts" and not your typical user. With the typical user if something confuses them or seems even the least bit foreign they stay away from it. I believe the "foreign-ness" of Modern UI is what has scared off the non-technical folks. Once they have their first "I don't get this moment" it's hard to win them back.

Although Modern UI works reasonably well once you "get the hang of it", even it's most ardent supporter would be hard pressed to call it "intuitive". When in anyone's prior experience did swiping from the top, sides and bottom of a screen do anything? If MS had spent more of their advertising dollars on explaining how that works as opposed to dancers they might have gotten greater acceptance. If ever Windows needed their little "paperclip helper dude" it was in Windows 8. Sure people could get it if they read the manual, but who reads the manual?

As a software developer myself, it is easy to see how MS can fall into this trap of thinking something they have worked on for years is "obvious" when it isn't. For my headhunting business I created a new online form where candidates would have an opportunity to data-mine their best skillsets for me in advance, making interpretation and presentation of their resumes easier. We created what we thought was an easy form with columns and headings, and yet, so few of our users completed the form correctly.

Will never forget the one guy who just typed "See resume" under each heading. :eek:mg:

Two things to keep in mind when developing software:

1) People are dumb.
2) People are lazy.

Russ

I don't find that very surprising. Millions of desktop apps compared to 75,000 Modern UI ones....

Omni --

Yeah, same here. I use the "Modern UI" on my Surface, but boot straight to the "Desktop" on my desktop machine, because all the stuff I regularly use is there: Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.

Regards,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well my thinking is it is still Windows and people aren't necessarily switching to Windows 8 for apps. They want to do things they do in Windows desktop and for now they are still buying/using Apple and Android devices for when they want to use apps. The beauty of Windows 8 is people will realize they don't need those other devices and at some point many will just get a Windows 8 devices and replace their desktop/laptop/tablet in one fell swoop. We can already see several here commenting on this exact scenario.

While some of the specific commands like swiping in from the edges might be new, the idea of launchable apps is not new. I think it is silly to think that people don't understand the MUI portion of Windows 8. Most people are familiar with the basics from smart phones and tablets. The specific gestures (double tap or hold the home button on idevices, swipe down from the top for Android, etc.) are part of the learning curve for each OS and people have already shown they can readily learn these differences. They aren't use to MUI but it isn't a foreign concept.

All people need is more exposure to Windows apps and for there to be more apps available (yes quality over quantity but MS really needs to reach parity at some point) and we will start to see a change in desktop vs app usage. The average person is transitioning form a PC to a tablet it isn't going to be an instant change where they stop using the desktop just because apps are available. More than likely they are using the desktop because the apps on their phones and tablets aren't getting the job done in the first place.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Maybe some PC manufacturers have this, but I think it would have been helpful if MS made all new pc's begin with a nice video tutorial on how Modern UI works. Also make something like that available in store models where potential buyers can learn how it works. It isn't complicated, just different.

MS's primary problem with Windows 8 hasn't been what, it has been how. Windows 8 itself is fine and Modern UI is fine. MS just failed in how they presented it with lack of user options and lack of easy education.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Maybe some PC manufacturers have this, but I think it would have been helpful if MS made all new pc's begin with a nice video tutorial on how Modern UI works. Also make something like that available in store models where potential buyers can learn how it works. It isn't complicated, just different.

MS's primary problem with Windows 8 hasn't been what, it has been how. Windows 8 itself is fine and Modern UI is fine. MS just failed in how they presented it with lack of user options and lack of easy education.

Supposedly Windows Blue will also bring an updated tutorial. MS can definitely do more to show how to use it.

pallentx

Not surprised at all. Its new and the store isn't exactly getting flooded with millions of quality apps on par with their legacy equivalents. This is a marathon, not a sprint. MS is going to have to do what they did with WP7/8 and start dumping money into getting devs to write apps. Development is expensive, app makers aren't crazy about investing in an app when they are unsure about the platform. Hopefully, they will hit critical mass at some point and developing for the modern UI will be standard. Its probably going to be a couple of years.

pallentx

I agree completely on the education. The little animation while it sets up your account on a new machine is handy, but not nearly enough, and there's no way to refer back to it if you want to see it again. A new install should have tutorials pinned to the start screen for beginners to get acquainted.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I agree completely on the education. The little animation while it sets up your account on a new machine is handy, but not nearly enough, and there's no way to refer back to it if you want to see it again. A new install should have tutorials pinned to the start screen for beginners to get acquainted.

Perfect example. I visited my dermatologist and she was using a Surface Pro to take notes. I noticed that she was holding it like a laptop on her arm and trying to write in the screen. I showed her that she could just fold the keyboard back and use it like a tablet. She was shocked and thought that was so cool!

THAT is the kind of thing MS should be showing in their commercials instead of breakdancing hipsters playing with the kickstand.