What's new

Request: Surface RT restore image US/ES/FR

stureplan

I am looking for a restore image from Surface RT with the US/ES/FR languages, i.e. a Surface RT purchased in the United States.

I have the restore image from a brittish Surface RT (GB/FR/DE) and a scandinavian Surface RT (SE/NO/DK/FI) if someone would have any use for one of those.

There has been some discussions that the restore images are not transferable between units due to BitLocker or UUID, but I had no issues in applying the GB/FR/DE restore image found on the internet to my Surface RT purchased in scandinavia, originally with the SE/NO/DK/FI version. To make sure that BitLocker would not be an issue I did a clean in diskpart before starting the restore so that no old partition data would prevent the restore.

Thank you for your assistance.

OP
S

stureplan

May I ask why are you requesting for someone else's image and license?

The reason I am asking for a restore image is that I want to run my Surface with the en-US version of Windows due to compability and troubleshooting reasons. All my other Windows hardware are running plain MSDN/Technet versions in en-US of Windows 8/Server 2012 that I have installed myself from scratch since I don't like the preinstalled ad/crap/trialware filled localized OEM versions that acompany hardware purchased from major vendors today (HP, Sony, Asus).

Since Windows RT is not available on MSDN/Technet I have no other means of converting my scandinavian bought Surface RT to en-US apart from asking for someone elses restore image. Regarding the license, well since a Surface RT restore image is only installable on a Surface RT, which I have bought and own, I don't really see this as a major breach of the license terms. I have paid for my use of the license of Windows RT. Also, slmgr gives me the same Activation ID and Application ID both with the SE/NO/DK/FI version that came preinstalled and the GB/FR/DE version I downloaded off the net, so it would seem as the license is in the hardware, not the actual restore image.

OP
S

stureplan

XDA forums has info and files on this

No, those links are unfortunately dead. I am trying to get in touch with the users in those threads but due to XDA's >10 post limit I cannot post in the relevant threads and no users seems to reply to private messages.