What's new

researching the surface pro 3

jake

I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter but couples of thing is holding me back.

1) issue on wireless - some user still have same issue even with the updated firmware.
2) I chat online with Microsoft surface pro 3 tech and he said battery on surface pro is not replaceable because it is heavily bonded to the frame and was told I should buy their extended warranty when it run out.

You know after a year or so the battery going to have issue and why I to spend more money on warranty?

mennogreg

Some users are still exhibiting issues with wireless. While there are many that don't have any problems (mine doesn't), it wouldn't be fair to discount it either.

As for the battery, is isn't user-replaceable. However, when the SP3 was announced, MS made a remark that the battery could be replaced for $89(?) or some such figure; I'm assuming they would have sent a refurbished model in its place instead of actually replacing the battery, but I don't know if that has applied since release.

Aegeas

During the Reddit AMA MS stated that the price to have the battery replaced in the SP3 was $200. If it is under warranty or covered by Complete then battery replacement is free. I haven't had an issue with my wifi at all, so that may be a mixed bag.

Aegeas

SurfaceTeam[S]: 3 months ago

Our summary response is deep enough in the comments that it’s not visible – reposting it here.

We’ve built a great battery into the product (details above).

IF the battery fails during the warranty period, we’ll replace the battery.

IF the battery fails after the warranty period, you’ll call Microsoft support and arrange for the battery to be replaced. The cost will be $200 USD.

OP
J

jake

how the warranty work?
I know you get 1 year when purchased but if you get the extended 2 years will that be 3 years total?

I got my i7 256GB on the first day and no issues at all. As far as the Microsoft Complete coverage it adds a 1 year warranty so it's 2 year warranty in total (not sure if there is a 3 yr warranty) but the nice thing is if the glass cracks/breaks it's only a $50 deductible. The cost of the warranty was worth it to me considering I paid almost $1,700 for the device (SP3 + type cover), accidents happen and it's piece of mind knowing it will cost me minimal should something happen to the screen.

OP
J

jake

They are making money on the keyboard and warranty . I think we will wait for the new MacBook air coming out in November. I don't trust their wireless hardware on that surface. My daughter is in Boston for her master program for med school and I don't want her losing the wireless while in school. I have work on the surface pro 2 for one of my customer and it has the wireless issue too. I thought they would comes out with a better wireless on the surface pro 3.