What's new

Reselling the Skydrive and Skype vouchers allowed?

DragonGamer

Hello community,

there are quite a few offers for the Surface Pro 2 vouchers: Skydrive (200Gb for 2 Years) and Skype calls+WiFi on ebay.
Personally I'm quite sure that I wont ever need those - in every case not as much as some extra bucks for the most expensive time of the year xD

So I wanted to ask whether selling those codes are actually allowed and possible at all. Aren't they connected in any way to my SP 2 except by it's purchase-date?

Thanks for any answer in advance! :)

oion

The coupons are not connected to the devices with which they were boxed. I know this because I gave one code away already. You can only apply one coupon (of either type) to one MS Account. In terms of process flow, it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to tie the codes to the serials of the boxed Surfaces--they just generate the codes, print the coupons, put them into boxes.

However, whether you're supposed to be able to resell them is a different matter. The fine print on the coupons themselves do not include the legal disclaimers "not for individual resale" etc.

But the fine print on the websites are different:

Congratulations. Your Surface comes with 200 GB of free SkyDrive storage.
* Offer terms: Valid for original purchasers of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 only. Valid for 200 GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years from redemption. Offer code must be redeemed within 90 days from original purchase, and no later than December 31, 2014. Internet access fees may apply. Limit: One offer code per purchase of qualifying Surface device and per Microsoft account. Not redeemable for cash or gift cards. Single use only. Not packaged for individual resale.

Welcome to Skype on Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2
Offer code must be redeemed within 90 days from original purchase, and no later than December 31, 2014. Limit 1 per person. Internet access fees may apply when not on Skype WiFi supported hotspot. Unlimited calling to select countries/regions and lines only. Unlimited Skype WiFi available only on qualifying Surface at Skype enabled hotspots. Valid for original purchasers of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 only. Other terms and fair usage policies apply; see Surface Offer Terms for details.
Skype Fair Usage Policy - Skype
Skype’s subscriptions are for individual use only (personal or business communications) in accordance with our Terms of Use and this FUP (“Legitimate Use”). The following is a non-exhaustive list of practices that would not be considered Legitimate Use:

Using subscriptions for telemarketing or call centre operations;
Re-selling subscription minutes;
Sharing subscriptions between users whether via a PBX, call centre, computer or any other means;
Calling numbers (whether singly, sequentially or automatically) to generate income for yourself or others as a result of placing the call, other than for your individual business communications (and subject to Section 4.1 of the Terms of Use); and
Unusual calling patterns inconsistent with normal, individual subscription use, for example, regular calls of short duration or calls to multiple numbers in a short period of time.

Edit to add-- http://www.skype.com/en/legal/skype-on-surface-2/offer-terms/ :
Offer valid with the purchase of a Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 (“qualifying Surface”) in Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 launched markets, excluding China and Thailand. Includes a twelve month Skype’s “Unlimited World” subscription, unlimited Skype WiFi on your qualifying Surface and other great features of Skype Premium. Offer code must be redeemed within 90 days from original purchase, and no later than December 31, 2014. You must keep your dated qualifying Surface receipt as proof of purchase until you redeem the offer; a copy may be requested by Skype to confirm eligibility. Skype account required. To redeem, enter the voucher code. Subscriptions may only be redeemed in connection with one Skype account and may not be transferred or sold. Subscriptions commence on the redemption date. Skype reserves the right to deny and/or disregard any offer request deemed in Skype’s sole discretion to be false, fraudulent, or ineligible. Terms can change without notice at any time. No cash redemption, except where required by law. Offer subject to availability. Skype reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. No emergency calls can be made using Skype. Skype is not a telephone replacement service. Skype’s Terms of Use apply.

Edit: Found the Skype specifics after posting. Clearly we're not supposed to resell the coupons, but only in the Skype case do they claim to want proof of Surface purchase. Will that stop people from trying? Nah. And practically speaking, I doubt Microsoft can track down non-Surface users.

Last edited:
OP
D

DragonGamer

The first part with "Not redeemable for cash or gift cards" sounds more like you cannot expect to get cash or gift cards from MS itself, not from someone else...
But yes, I see what the situation is.. hmm, guess I'll think about it...

oion

The first part with "Not redeemable for cash or gift cards" sounds more like you cannot expect to get cash or gift cards from MS itself, not from someone else...
But yes, I see what the situation is.. hmm, guess I'll think about it...

Yes, I'd interpret it that way too. Ultimately there isn't supposed to be a cash value on these, that is. What people think of that on eBay is another matter. :p

Buiaca

* Offer terms: Valid for original purchasers of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 only. Valid for 200 GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years from redemption. Offer code must be redeemed within 90 days from original purchase, and no later than December 31, 2014. Internet access fees may apply. Limit: One offer code per purchase of qualifying Surface device and per Microsoft account. Not redeemable for cash or gift cards. Single use only. Not packaged for individual resale.

So has anyone tried entering more than one code per one account. I just bought a Surface Pro 2 but I kind of need more SkyDrive space. I see there are some codes for sale on eBay and i would buy one or two if I knew I could use them on the same account.

I even called Microsoft and the rep didn't really have a definitive answer whether we can use multiple different 200 GB on the same account.

Thanks

oion

So has anyone tried entering more than one code per one account. I just bought a Surface Pro 2 but I kind of need more SkyDrive space. I see there are some codes for sale on eBay and i would buy one or two if I knew I could use them on the same account.

I even called Microsoft and the rep didn't really have a definitive answer whether we can use multiple different 200 GB on the same account.

Thanks

Re-read the fine print in the first block quote in my first post up there. Answer is no.

Buiaca

Too bad :(.
I hope MS will at least lower the pricing soon, it is hard to justify it right now against Google Drive.