What's new

Reserve your copy of 10

malberttoo

I personally think it is 99% to generate hype and enthusiasm, has nothing to do with actually being on a "reservations" list. Just permission to download the thing in the background and give a you a big "convert to Win 10 now" button.

OP
O

OGF

I thought it would be a staggered roll out - strange thing is that literally everybody around got the invitation except myself. Already tried to restart/re-install the specific update.
me neither, I did the same thing.

Aurelio

I personally think it is 99% to generate hype and enthusiasm, has nothing to do with actually being on a "reservations" list. Just permission to download the thing in the background and give a you a big "convert to Win 10 now" button.

Agree!!!

I think this is just one way for them to see how many people are interest in change to Win10, so they can use those numbers in conferences etc..

guymalloc

I don't want to remove the ability to upgrade, but I'd like to not have to go into task manager to shut off the notification. I also would like to have the option to NOT upgrade until I'm ready. Would prefer an iso image that I could save to upgrade when I'm ready.......

strollin

I have the KB installed and consider myself lucky that I don't see the "Get Windows 10" upgrade notification on my SP3 (no plans to upgrade to Win 10). On other machines of mine I saw the upgrade notification and, IMO, the easiest way to disable it, should you want to, is to go into the C:\windows\system32 folder and rename the GWX folder there to something else.

Should I ever decide I want to upgrade, I can just rename that folder back to GWX.

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to remove the ability to upgrade, but I'd like to not have to go into task manager to shut off the notification

the easiest way to disable it, should you want to, is to go into the C:\windows\system32 folder and rename the GWX folder there to something else.

You can toggle the icon to show/hide. R click "Show hidden icons", click "Properties", "Customize notification icons", set GWX to show/hide.

guymalloc

I know I can hide the notification icon, but gwx.exe is still running, like to keep the background junk to a minimum. I think renaming the gwx folder might be the best idea, as long as windows upodate doesn't keep reinstalling it....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know I can hide the notification icon, but gwx.exe is still running, like to keep the background junk to a minimum. I think renaming the gwx folder might be the best idea, as long as windows upodate doesn't keep reinstalling it....
The process uses very little resources (less than 128K on my NUC and SP3 4/128).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not appearing on my SP3 or my Win7 desktop. I'm pretty sure I'm going to update my Desktop to win 10.. not quite so sure on the Surface... if I do I guess I'll eventually have to pay for two upgrades??(in a years time).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not appearing on my SP3 or my Win7 desktop. I'm pretty sure I'm going to update my Desktop to win 10.. not quite so sure on the Surface... if I do I guess I'll eventually have to pay for two upgrades??(in a years time).
No If you upgrade within one year of release it's FREE FOREVER. If you upgrade after the 1st year of release then you will have to pay.