What's new

Reset not working

jhlindstrom

During the March update, the Pro hosed. I finally was able to coax it to boot, but it just doesn't run right. So I tried to reset using the PC Settings tool, but it returns the message that I don't have the needed files. The recovery partitions are intact and healthy. Support walked me through a series of command prompts to cure the problem to no avail. I was transferred to Singapore, and it will cost me at least $300 to send the unit back to the States. There must be some way of restoring the unit. Advice?

leeshor

Welcome to Surface Forums. Sorry to hear about that. Did they try walking you through an F8 boot menu recovery or just command line instructions?

OP
J

jhlindstrom

Welcome to Surface Forums. Sorry to hear about that. Did they try walking you through an F8 boot menu recovery or just command line instructions?

he didn't recommend anything but the command line. I read that I should restart with th shift key down. the troubleshooter that appeared worked
fine!

OP
J

jhlindstrom

Yes, thanks. For anyone else having this issue - and it looks like it isn't uncommon - shut the unit down. Start up with the shift key depressed. Release when you see a troubleshooting option, and then follow the refresh or reset instructions.
Now, if I can just figure out why my company's SSID hidden network keeps disappearing . . . .