What's new

Reset SP2 - Windows 10

Ceepeebee

Hi all,

I have a new(er) laptop and I'm thinking of resetting my Surface Pro 2 which is used as a backup device currently, but I seem to recall it took me the best part of 8 hours to jump through hoops to get Windows 10 on there again.

As W10 is no longer available free am I right in thinking that I won't get the option to update to Windows 10 (I remember having to hack things to get the update prompt last time).

Anybody with experience of this lately?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once the device is registered on Windows 10 it will always be licensed for Windows 10 and the key is maintained in the cloud automatically.

However you don't need to go back to W8.1. You can make a bootable W10 USB to reinstall from.
Download Windows 10. Use the second button to download tool now then run it and create a Bootable USB. Use the 64bit only option and verify it.

OP
C

Ceepeebee

Thanks for that - I had to use Rufus to pull the ISO through to a USB but got it done. So presumably now I can just run through the install on the SP2 and boot back into a fresh W10 once it's complete? No issues?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that - I had to use Rufus to pull the ISO through to a USB but got it done. So presumably now I can just run through the install on the SP2 and boot back into a fresh W10 once it's complete? No issues?
Not sure why you would have had to use Rufus unless maybe running a Mac or Linux.
If it doesn't boot to the USB then there's likely a problem with the USB, that's why I directed you to the Media Creation Tool. I know it makes the USB correctly and will verify it.

So... assuming it does boot the USB then you should be on the home stretch. To avoid some potential pitfalls, remove any micro SD cards and don't plug in any other USB devices or hubs during the install. Those problems are rare but very time wasting.

OP
C

Ceepeebee

Hey GreyFox2 thanks for the info - I got this sorted in the end based on your recommendations so thanks.

I do have one more question however. I'm not considering selling my SP2, but the only recovery media is Windows 8.1 and I want to make sure the Surface Pro is completely reset prior to selling it.

Can I simply reset on Windows 10 and be done, or should I be using the recovery media to go back to W8.1?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can do a Reset from Windows 10 or go back to the Win 10 USB and do a clean install either way. If you set it up afterwards for purposes of showing it works ... use a local account and don't sync it with the cloud/other PCs.

ToluAbisola

I had to roll back back Win 10 to 8.1 as the Wacom driver stopped working correctly after the creators update.

Even though I have a surface book now I can't bring myself to get rid of this device. It's tough and compact, has Wacom tech (way better than N-trig) and with Artdock I can use it as my mobile art studio.

It sits now, unused for around a month. Everytime my surface book loses pressure sensitivity for now effing reason I look at it with remorse in my eye.

SP2, fantastic machine!

bondr007

I have an SP2(MS Surface Pro 2, 4th Gen Core i5, 4gb RAM, 128GB SSD, Win 10 Pro) and feel the same way you do. I bought a new 2017 SP (MS Surface Pro 2017, 7th Gen Core i5, 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro) and the SP2 now gets used as the kitchen computer. The SP2 is a great little device that I've never had an issue with. It runs the latest Win 10 Pro and has never had even the slightest hiccup. I hope I have the same luck with my new SP 2017.

I have never had an issue updating and running any of my Windows devices to the latest OS

Last edited: