What's new

Resetting Surface UEFI BIOS Password

SomeoneOnLine

Soooooooo, It appears that I forgot the password that I set in the uefi bios after i set the boot order to ssd only. I can get into windows just fine but unable to boot to usb. So I am on the phone with microsoft answer tech as i type this and the answer tech i am talking to says that by doing a full windows refresh (clean the drive) it will reset/clear the uefi bios password. Does that sound right? I always thought that motherboards uefi bios are stored on the mobo on a small icu/chip? Eitherway on the bright side i did make a coomplete ssd disk image using acronis a few weeks ago. So maybe i can just restore one of the other partitions besides the windows partition and i dont have to reset my device and redo all my stuff again.

~SOL

leeshor

You're correct, normally a BIOS/UEFI password is stored in CMOS on the motherboard. If that's the case you are SOL;)

But on the other hand the Surface may work differently.

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

i should have known better than to make up a new password i would forget. :( Thats my own fault. Since the surface works great otherwise im not in a hurry to redo everything since i finally have it dialed in the way i want it. other than the damn bios boot order being set to ssd only.

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

I can definitely say that as expected doing a full reset/refresh does NOT reset or clear the bios password. However it did reset the TPM. I still have the receipt for the surface and it's still in warranty with ms. Maybe I will call them and say it took a dump and won't boot (corrupt bcd/mbr record) Thus them hopefully replacing the whole thing. :(

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

Interestingly enough when doing a refresh I was given the option to download the recovery image right from microsoft from inside the refresh process. I guess that's good enough as far as recovery goes as long as bcd doesn't die or get corrupted.

Efclydes

I do have the same problem, I actually knows my account password with witch I manage to login on my device, but when I try login into UEFI its says that a system password must entered, I don't know witch password is that since I didn't create other rather than the account one, can some please help me ?

Julia_G

Hi, so I spent the past couple of days working on my friends Microsoft Surface Book, that needed a new install of Windows 10 and had a UEFI system password on it that he did not know. In my research I came across a very very helpful site..... http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html
So I only got as far as plugging in a USB Keyboard, and through trial and error discovered that the password was "password". I think that this is the master password on the flashROM.

Anyways this worked for me, but I had tried this earlier in a moment of desperation with the "onboard keyboard" and it did not work!! I hope that this works for others as *start of rant* these "laptops" are voted the worst to work on and are being deemed a throw away item if something breaks on them!! Microsoft must have money to burn and not give a **** about the extra e-waste that they are contributing to our planet by not creating a product that is simple and easy to repair, even for the new user! *end of rant*.:(

Please comment if you find a master password for any other devices so that we can all help each other out!

Cheers,
Julia