What's new

Resetting W10 and SP3

leeshor

Also we need the Windows Product Key embedded inside the BIOS..I haven't looked into this as of yet but are we able to get this key when we use the media creation tool and create our win10 install media? I have tried it on another system with some key recovery utilities but the product key returned did not work.
And it never will. The only way to get Windows 10 for free is to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 first, then activate then if you wish you can do a clean install. The embedded SN is for 8/8.1 not for 10 until you do the upgrade.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A clean image, as clean as it can get, has been available since Wednesday - here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I think they mean a W10 Recovery Image... it may be a subtle difference.

It's not clear and there are questions about the state of the Recovery Partition and what happens with Refresh or Reset and it might differ if you did a clean install or not. I'm preparing to test these scenarios but haven't gotten there yet.

leeshor

I think they mean a W10 Recovery Image... it may be a subtle difference.

It's not clear and there are questions about the state of the Recovery Partition and what happens with Refresh or Reset and it might differ if you did a clean install or not. I'm preparing to test these scenarios but haven't gotten there yet.
Oops, ;);)

cemian

And it never will. The only way to get Windows 10 for free is to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 first, then activate then if you wish you can do a clean install. The embedded SN is for 8/8.1 not for 10 until you do the upgrade.
Ok then my question is after we have upgraded from 8.0/8.1 to Windows 1o..how can we do a clean install without knowing our product key? Once you create the install media and try to install.. it will ask for such key.. thanks

leeshor

If you had an upgraded and activated Windows 10 you won't need a product key to do a clean install. Windows 10 will use a hardware signature specific to your system that was registered on Microsoft's servers. In this situation no key or SN is required going forward.

fred_com

Ok then my question is after we have upgraded from 8.0/8.1 to Windows 1o..how can we do a clean install without knowing our product key? Once you create the install media and try to install.. it will ask for such key.. thanks

I've just did this (upgraded from 8.1, activated, then did a clean install from USB), installer asked twice for my product key, and there was an option to skip this step in both cases. Windows 10 will activate automatically after this.

Worked for me. Just yesterday. I am talking about first doing an in-place install of Windows 10, than doing a clean install of 10.

OP
S

stsalkit

Finally, I took the plunge and did a clean install following my upgrade from 8.1 - I am still investigating the benefits... One thing that I noticed immediately, was that doing a clean install the system does has many drivers inbuilt and as such e.g. in the Control Panel's uninstall section, you have far fewer entries. The other potential benefits (but still I investigate whether they are true), is the fact that both Cortana and WiFi appear to work better - Cortana (or the microphone) are more responsive, no WiFi dropouts etc.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that you don't need an ISO in order to do a clean install, PROVIDED you did the update before! Just go to Settings / Update and Security / Recovery / Reset this PC. There if you choose to wipe everything, it does a clean install and as a bonus it checks your SSD as well for any errors. During the process, you LOOSE your previous 8.1 installation - so NO WAY of going back!

uksparx

Was you an Windows 10 insider?

This looks easier than downloading an ISO.

Did it restore to 8.1 first and then update to 10?

I'm thinking of doing this as someone was using my Surface pro3 and decided to install some bits and now it runs hot with the fan constantly going.

As I didn't set up system restore I can't seem to go back :(

OP
S

stsalkit

Was you an Windows 10 insider? Yes I was - but not really active

This looks easier than downloading an ISO. - Sure it is!

Did it restore to 8.1 first and then update to 10? - NO - if you choose to go that way i.e. a complete restore, you loose your 8.1 copy. The side benefit of this is that after the restore, you have much more free disk space left!

I'm thinking of doing this as someone was using my Surface pro3 and decided to install some bits and now it runs hot with the fan constantly going.

As I didn't set up system restore I can't seem to go back :(