What's new

Solved Restart loop

robin.rarugal05

According to Google there is a Dubai store and it appears from the page they are now selling Surface in UAE.

To fix it yourself you'll need at least one USB probably 8GB

If nothing else walk out of there with known good Recovery USB and Windows 10 Media USB.

Ah I see... Thanks. Maybe i'll find a store in dubai to fix this. It will be a matter of time and day,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ouch! That's not a day :) Doesn't sound good for making a store visit.

When would you have the ability to download an image? There's some other stuff you should probably grab also so you can get the updates etc. It sounds like opportunities are slim and I'm sure you do not want to spend all your shore time doing that ;)

Do you have contacts in Dubai that could prepare a care package for you?

robin.rarugal05

Ouch! That's not a day :) Doesn't sound good for making a store visit.

When would you have the ability to download an image? There's some other stuff you should probably grab also so you can get the updates etc. It sounds like opportunities are slim and I'm sure you do not want to spend all your shore time doing that ;)

Do you have contacts in Dubai that could prepare a care package for you?

Probably I can download that image when I got home to the Philippines, it'll be on September. Because you know, life on ship is out of this world, very isolated on what going on "in land".. everyday all i see is ocean, sunset and sunrise. It sucks that my sp3 is not working, its is my "boredom killer" gadget here.

Nope, I don't have contacts there, it is our first time to sail there :)
But thanks anyway, im glad its not a hardware defects. There still hope on this. :)

So uhmmm when I downloaded the files (the Recovery image) on the USB drive. Then what to do next?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like you said it's complicated... here's the knife in the back... because it came with 8.1 you can only download an 8.1 Recovery Image (dear MS please change this) so Id recommend using the W10 Media Creation Tool downloading the Windows 10 installation image and the Surface firmware & driver pack. Then you can wipe the disk on your Surface and install Windows 10 and update it. Oh wait... did Windows 10 ever activate on your Surface? if it did then there's no worries. If it didn't ever activate then it's more complicated... ;)

use that Dubai shore time to get you a working entertainment system :)

robin.rarugal05

Like you said it's complicated... here's the knife in the back... because it came with 8.1 you can only download an 8.1 Recovery Image (dear MS please change this) so Id recommend using the W10 Media Creation Tool downloading the Windows 10 installation image and the Surface firmware & driver pack. Then you can wipe the disk on your Surface and install Windows 10 and update it. Oh wait... did Windows 10 ever activate on your Surface? if it did then there's no worries. If it didn't ever activate then it's more complicated... ;)

use that Dubai shore time to get you a working entertainment system :)

Ahhh I see... Its very easy when Im in front of a computer,so I guess I have to wait till i get back home, and do this.

Hahaha actually im planning to buy surface pro 4 with signature type cover in dubai next Sunday.. But im hesitating now, because I think I can fix this sp3. Or maybe i'll buy sp4. Or maybe not.. Dont know... Im fucking bored here, im thankful that I have smartphone here left to keep me entertain. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is one other possibility ... although I'm not sure it works or what the steps are at the moment... when reverting to 8.1 from 10 especially since I'm not sure what state it's in... I have an SP3 to try it on to see... It would involve using the W8.1 recovery partition if it's still there and accessible.

Back to the questions....
Did the Windows 10 installation complete?
Did it activate? Usually it will activate when its' online for a while after updating to Windows 10.
if it never activated we should probably recover back to 8.1 otherwise it likely wont activate.
Do you know if the W8.1 recovery partition was removed or if it's still there?

robin.rarugal05

There is one other possibility ... although I'm not sure it works or what the steps are at the moment... when reverting to 8.1 from 10 especially since I'm not sure what state it's in... I have an SP3 to try it on to see... It would involve using the W8.1 recovery partition if it's still there and accessible.

Back to the questions....
Did the Windows 10 installation complete?
Did it activate? Usually it will activate when its' online for a while after updating to Windows 10.
if it never activated we should probably recover back to 8.1 otherwise it likely wont activate.
Do you know if the W8.1 recovery partition was removed or if it's still there?

Yes! w10 was activated, ive used it since MS releases the free upgrade. & Im sorry I dont know if the 8.1 partition was removed after the upgrade? Maybe its still there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok . I'll work on a procedure... and see if @jnjroach has anything to add. If it doesn't work, no worries, we can still do USB method. probably wont be till tomorrow at earliest... have to kill a triathlon training event and a few other things today too.

robin.rarugal05

Ok . I'll work on a procedure... and see if @jnjroach has anything to add. If it doesn't work, no worries, we can still do USB method. probably wont be till tomorrow at earliest... have to kill a triathlon training event and a few other things today too.

Oh okay thanks mate!

We dont have internet satelite, Tonight (India) localtime here is 8pm. 4 hours from now we are sailing, and ill be offline, if I didnt response im in the middle of the sea. Take care. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, quickly just to be sure ...
Hold the power button for at least 30 seconds.
Then hold the volume UP button and press the power button, keep holding the Volume UP
you should see the UEFI screen.
Then exit and it should reboot.
If this end in the reboot cycle again repeat the process and hold the Volume Down button when exiting UEFI to attempt booting to the recovery partition.
If you get into Recovery (I'm not sure of the wording ) do a refresh or reset and KEEP files.
The reason I say keep files because the other option will remove all files and if it works you'll have a device with nothing on it which wont help you much ;-)
You may have already done this I just wanted to make sure we did these steps before going into anything more detailed.